Sydney-Weedy Sea Dragon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
howdy.... yesterday i saw my first ever baby weedy sea dragan and i thought i would share (as im still pretty excited about it)

and adult male carrying eggs on its tail section
Weedy311206.jpg

my first ever baby weedy (about 8cm long)
BabyWeedy2.jpg

fyi:
The weedy sea dragon or common sea dragon, Phyllopteryx taeniolatus, is a marine fish related to the seahorse. It is the only member of the genus Phyllopteryx. It is found in water 3 to 50 m deep around the southern coastline of Australia, approximately between Port Stephens, New South Wales and Geraldton, Western Australia, as well as around Tasmania. Weedy sea dragons are named for the weed-like projections on their bodies that camouflage them as they move among the seaweed beds where they are usually found.

Weedy sea dragons can reach 45 cm in length. They feed on tiny crustaceans and other zooplankton, which are sucked into the end of their tube-like snout.

cheers

Those are really cool, and nice pics of them.

You're whetting my appetite. We're coming to Australia in 2008 and I was in touch with a dive shop last week about seeing some "weedies". I can hardly wait and still over a year to go. My son married a girl from Oz and we'll be visiting her parents in the Melbourne area, as well as doing some travelling. Going to the GBR is defintiely one of the places we'll be headed to.

I enjoyed your pictures.

Denny

Congratulations on your find! What a way to end the year :D!

Way cool. Thanks for sharing.

Wow almity, great shots! Very cool. Do you see these guys often?

(I might just have to stop by there to take a few shots myself...:F)

Almity, Are you out floating those fake plastic sea horses again? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Seriously Almity, all your Sea Dragon pic's are great! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom