Weedy Sea Dragon from Jervis Bay, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Let me know when it hits 29C :)

I just came back from Lembeh and with 3mm semi dry and extra layer for the top, I was freezing when water was 26C. Like Mike said, let me know when it hits 29 and I will come with my 5-7mm semi dry :D

Back in the good old day, I dove in NZ with 7mm wetsuit, according to my old logbook, temp was around 53-55F, I thought I had more brain than that, back then!

Re: sea dragons in general. Do they move out of warmer waters as summer approaches or do they stick around in decent numbers?

_Bella_:
Re: sea dragons in general. Do they move out of warmer waters as summer approaches or do they stick around in decent numbers?
Kurnell sea dragons all year round,a nice easy shore dive... the trick is to stop finning and look at the kelp for a few mins and then you spot them. if memory serves me right, like sea horses - the males carry the eggs/babies also

almitywife:
if memory serves me right, like sea horses - the males carry the eggs/babies also

You are right - unlike sea horses which have a pouch to hold the eggs, sea dragons carry the eggs under the tail... Quite a few images in our Sea Dragon galleries have Weedies and Leafies carry eggs. Sea Dragon Galleries

Been awhile since I dive Kurnell. Think I might go there the weekend after this one (Grand Final week in Australia)

Enjoy,
M

Marriad, he/she is just lovely. I'm totally fascinated with sea dragons. I've been looking for an aquarium in the states that has one, leafy or weedy!!

I hope to make it to Australia some time to dive with them.
(and I like cold water just fine :))

Thanks for the gallery link. :D Made my day!!!

Wow, it's 19deg C in syd waters at the moment? Gotta get off my butt and do some dives. Anyone wanna go for a shore dive mid week in Sydney next week? :boings:

Was in Jervis a few weeks ago (a friend owns a hotel down there, and we went to check it out) Looking forward to going back with some dive gear in a month or two (when the water hits 16 deg C)

As for freezing in 26 deg water, I thinkt hat is the curse of the tropical diver. I remember my first dive on the Great Barrier Reef, out of Port Douglas, I dived with just a wetshirt and board shorts, and I thought it was like bathwater. The DM asked if I wanted a wetty because the water was "freezing". Mind you, I used to go surfing in just board shorts in the middle of winter in my teens. 15 and 16 degrre sea temps sure are a ***** to get into, but once you are moving and surfing, it's kinda OK (once you go numb)

Z...

almitywife:
Kurnell sea dragons all year round,a nice easy shore dive... the trick is to stop finning and look at the kelp for a few mins and then you spot them. if memory serves me right, like sea horses - the males carry the eggs/babies also

I might have to find my way to Kurnell when I'm there in Nov.
Of course, I said that last year when I was there and just coudln't bear the thought of unpacking all the dive and photo kit after a 4 week trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom