T1i Housing - Ikelite or Nimar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice catch! IP check and BAN!

Think twice about getting a DSLR UW rig, it is bulky and heavy and the picture quality is not soo much better than a S90/S95 or G11/12 setup.
Chris

Hi,

I've used an old Casio Exilim S600 for about 8 years now for underwater photography while diving. The photos are OK but can't come close to those I take with my Nikon D5100 DSLR.

I know that the D5100 is an entry level camera, but for me it takes very good photos. I think about getting an underwater housing for that DSLR - but it's really expensive (at least 1300 Euro for the Ikelite with port).

Instead I could probably also get a used Canon G12 + underwater housing for under 400 Euro.

I'm torn between the expensive housing with the hope of really good photos versus the cheap point and click Canon (which will probably be way better than my current Casio)...

What do you think? What should I do?

Any ideas are highly appreciated.

Regars, Jan

Hello Jan,
i write you in english instead of german to make this discussion public.
I already wrote you in Wetpixel regarding the Ikelite Housing and the domes.

I have a Canon G12 in a Patima alu housing and i made some of my best pictures with it as the G12/S100 have a zoom and macro lens
and this avoid the frequent situation that you have the wrong lens for the things you see.

As i understand you don't want/can't to spend a lot of money on a housing for your D5100 and lenses, so i strongly suggest you to go with a
G12 or S100 rig and with the money you save you can buy:
2 strobes (Inon s-2000 or D-2000) including tray and arms
1 wide angle wet lens giving you up to 165° field of view using the INON UFL-165AD bajonet mount fisheye lens: INON Underwater Fisheye Conversion Lens UFL-165AD [Overview]
This lens seems to work only up to 165° with the Fix-Fishey hosuing for the S100 as only this housing comes near enough to avoid vignetting or zooming.

The second reason for a advanced compact camera is the size,
with a DSRL rig you will need most probably to buy a extra luggage for your dive holiday as the size is too big to have your camera and housing stuff carry-on.

I recommend DSLR rigs only for professionals and/or photo enthusiasts with a thick, well filled wallet to afford the price, strong arms to haul another 15 kilos of gear around airports
and nerves like steel during the flights when the rig is out of your sight.

Chris

P.S Try to contact NEMROD here, he is the S90/100 guru in this forum and had a s90-fix fisheye - INON UFL-165AD bajonet mount fisheye lens shooing beautiful pictures!

Last edited:
The second reason for a advanced compact camera is the size,
with a DSRL rig you will need most probably to buy a extra luggage for your dive holiday as the size is too big to have your camera and housing stuff carry-on.

Ahem! My G10 in it's Ikelite housing and the accompanying pair of Ikelite DS125 strobes (along with all the cables, chargers, adapters, etc. etc.) completely fill a Pelican 1510 hard sided carryon case, which is maximum size for airline carryon compliance. If you are harboring any ideas of getting this all into a carryon bag with other scuba stuff, all I can say is I wish you luck. At least it all does go into a carryon bag, and I use a backpack for all my other carryon needs. I will admit that if I had gone to a DSLR, this situation would probably be entirely different, as the above poster says. Woody

hi everybody and thanks for your replys! I have meanwhile made up my mind and will probably buy a compact camera with housing and strobes - instead of upgrading my DSLR for underwater setup. That's really a budget issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom