Tacloban to Sogod transfert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hcklo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I am looking for an option to do tacloban - sogod and also sogod - Tacloban.

Our hotel asks for 5k php each way: I don't know if this is fair but, is there any cheaper option ?

Does anyone know companys or spots where I could look to get a transport? I am looking to do both ways:

Tacloban-sogod
Sogod-tacloban

Thanks for your help !

Reasonable rate.
DIY is a lot cheaper but very time consuming.
Not that many foreign tourist make it to Tacloban so the demand is exceedingly low for private transfer.
There should be v-hire/bus from Tacloban to Maasin, jeepney to Padres Burgos and trike to resorts in Sogod Bay.

Hello, I am looking for an option to do tacloban - sogod and also sogod - Tacloban.

Our hotel asks for 5k php each way: I don't know if this is fair but, is there any cheaper option ?

Does anyone know companys or spots where I could look to get a transport? I am looking to do both ways:

Tacloban-sogod
Sogod-tacloban

Thanks for your help !
I just did that trip two weeks ago, and I too didn't want to pay 5k for a one way trip to P.Burgos.
My plan was to take a taxi 300php to the Van Van terminal in Tacloban, from there one can hop in a minivan and go all the way to Maasin, departure every 30 minutes, and it costs around 400php. If you are alone and have gear, buy three seats, one for your gear, and one for extra space, as they will pack the van to the max and may be uncomfortable to travel like packed sardines for long distance. There are two ways to get to Maasin, one through Sogod, and that would be ideal as you can get dropped off in Lungsodan, where I assume you will stay and dive. The other way, is through Bay Bay, and once you get to Maasin, could easily hop into a minivan and go to Padre Burgos for 80php, and from there a tricycle 20php to Lungsodan. If you go with Van Van, talk to the drivers and ask who is going to Maasin through Sogod.
It sounds a bit complicated but it's not, you get dropped off at the terminals in maasin, or Sogod, and if you arrive in Tacloban early, have lots of time to navigate.
The trip from Tacloban will take around 4 hrs.
Now, you may not have to go all the way to the Van Van terminal in Tacloban. When you exit the airport in Tacloban, wait a bit till all people exit, decline politely all the taxi offers and head out in the street, walk 50-100m to the left, you see an empty field on the right, and most likely, a bunch of minivans waiting to fill up with clients, you will see the destination written on the windshield , if not ask, you want to go to Maasin. Many come with private clients from So.Leyte to drop them off at the airport, then wait to get some clients to take back so they don't return empty. I was with my wife and had lots of luggage, so found an empty van returning to Maasin from that empty lot across from the airport exit, and negotiated to be dropped off at my rental place for 3k.
Hope this helps

Just did the trip today. Took about 3.5 hours from Tacloban airport to Peter’s. We paid 5000 PHP for the transfer arranged by the resort. Second time here.

The driver was waiting on arrival with a sign, was very focused and professional, and made good time. Bathroom stop offered on the way. He not just dropped us at the resort….he even carried our bags up the stairs after we checked in.

It was pouring rain, mudslides had portions of the road in bad shape, and several areas were single lane, and / or bridges under repair. There were carabao on the road, and goats, horses and donkeys used for free range weed trimming, and motorbikes, pedal tricycles, jeepneys, trucks and a couple of (unmanned in rain?) military checkpoints.

I would not have wanted to screw around waiting / negotiating with drivers in the rain at the airport. As Centrals said, there is very, very little tourism in Southern Leyte to inspire transport options. Renting a car? Maybe that is possible, but it would have taken me twice the time, and even that would be hoping my Google Maps or Wayz signal was solid on Smart or Globe the whole way through the provinces. In order to save 2000 PHP? Just not worth it to me, personally. It was really effortless. And, just so you know, I am considered moderately cheap by my friends. Your mileage may vary. 😊

I know, right? 🤣🤷‍♂️

Really, though, rain was mostly in the mountains in the way down from Tacloban. It was just patchy showers and sun here yesterday I am told. Patches of sun and blue skies today, with a passing shower in the area. It is not cool and rainy like Puerto Galera was the week were there at the end of January.

Divers report water temp is 27 C or 28 C…not 25 C like PG and Anilao last week. I will let you know shortly what my computer says. 😊

Love this place…and the new construction (in progress in February of 2020) worked out great. The renovations mandated by the typhoon were all handled gracefully. Most of the staff we remember are still here. Peter’s is really worth a little bit of travel hassle. Worth noting that we “discovered” this spot because of posts on these very forums about five or six years ago. 👍🏻

6E74C545-325B-460D-87C8-E44F2780E769.jpeg

D7250602-D39B-486C-941C-E13E912047A6.jpeg

Have a blast both of you.
And please do not forget to post an extensive trip report.
Where to after Leyte? Back to sunny Florida?

Nope…in the Philippines for a while yet. Not sure where, but will post updates and trip reports periodically. Currently owe three. ;-)

Thank you a lot for those nice feedbacks !! It is super useful to make our decisions !!! I will also come back with some feedback report at the end of our trip !

Another question, is it easy to exchange euros to php from tacloban to Sogod ?

I always try to avoid to exchange at airports as the rate is quite bad.

We arrive at 23pm at manila and our plane to tacloban leaves at 4am Wich doesn't really give us a chance to exchange neither in manila, neither at tacloban at 6am.

Is it easy in our transfer from tacloban to south Leyte to find an exchange place ?

We come with euros, how easy is it to exchange vs usd ?

Thanks for your help !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom