Tacloban to Sogod transfert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which terminal are you arriving at and which terminal are you departing from?
What airline are you using for both legs?
One or two money exchangers were still opened around 02:00 at T3 in Jan. Plenty of international flights still arrive at T3 around 01:00.
Euro/greenback are all accepted.
You should be able to find money exchanger in Tacloban but definitely not that early.
Can't be much helpful I am afraid.

Good luck.

This trip and the last couple we have just used ATMs and withdraw in PHP instead of home currency. Haven’t used a money changer yet this trip for USD. It helps that we have a card that refunds 100% of ATM fees, but the rate seems to be better than money changers…at least last time I checked. ATMs all over terminal area.

Please note, though, that there is only one ATM I know of in Padre Burgos (near police station), if that is where you are headed. Also, need to make sure your resort accepts credit cards for room / incidentals. Most of our expenses there last couple weeks were charged to room. Transport fee is often cash only direct to driver, depending on where you are staying. Tips will, of course, require cash.

If you are going to be in the Philippines for a few weeks, heartily recommend setting up a GCash account! Accepted everywhere, it is a Philippines-developed, no-fee payment system like PayPal on steroids, and has really taken off since our last visit. It is run by the Philippines Central Bank (BSP - Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas). Payments and sending money uses QR codes…the vendor shows it to you, you point your phone at it and payment is pending…requires you to confirm on app. That’s it. Requires a Philippine cell SIM, or working home country phone with you, but those are available outside the NAIA terminal bag claim. Can’t verify without working cell, either from home country or the PI. Apps for both Android and iOS.

GCash can be used for local purchases even in the remote areas, and you can “Cash In” or “Cash Out” all over the PI at many, many diverse kinds of stores and shops. You will see GCash signs far more places than you will see ATMs. Can be tied to your bank card, or loaded from a credit card. We used Philippine Pesos to “Cash In” rather than tie account to a card, so not sure if there are fees involved with that aspect.

Need a bus or ferry ticket? GCash! Pay restaurant bill? GCash. Need a “load” for your phone (minutes / data)…GCash. Need Grab Food wallet refilled? GCash! Transfer money to a driver or local? Everyone has GCash…lol.

Have a blast. Diving there is wonderful. Didn’t meet a single diver in two weeks who was unhappy with diving, even with more rain and lower viz than usual. Weather pattern has been much better since we left. 🤣🤷‍♂️

Which terminal are you arriving at and which terminal are you departing from?
What airline are you using for both legs?
One or two money exchangers were still opened around 02:00 at T3 in Jan. Plenty of international flights still arrive at T3 around 01:00.
Euro/greenback are all accepted.
You should be able to find money exchanger in Tacloban but definitely not that early.
Can't be much helpful I am afraid.

Good luck.
Hey Centrals, as usual all of your input is helpful.

Usually the rate exchange is very bad this is why we wanted to avoid exchange at the airports.

Indeed if we don't find anything we will try to exchange there or to just withdraw at an ATM.

We come with Saudi and go with Cebu, but I don't know the terminals.

As we have the transfer from Tacloban to south Leyte I was more thinking of stop somewhere during the transfer, probably to go to one of those exchangers

Does anyone has experience exchanging in one of those? Specifically if the rate is not too bad and if they accept euros..

I usually do it in malls like sm or Robinsons but indeed they open all late morning and there is non in southern Leyte as much as I know..

Saudia uses T1 while Cebu Pacific uses T3 and most of PAL in T2.
There is internal FREE transfer between the terminals but not sure if it is operating at that time. I would take a taxi if I were you.

The money exchanger at T3 is very good and I have been using it all the times.
The exchange rate at T1 was indeed very bad but I have not used T1 for very long time so no idea on the latest situation.

As already suggested by @Johncn, ATM is another option but just make sure there is NO fees for the withdrawal.
You also need to know if using your plastic will incur extra surcharge by the resort.

This trip and the last couple we have just used ATMs and withdraw in PHP instead of home currency. Haven’t used a money changer yet this trip for USD. It helps that we have a card that refunds 100% of ATM fees, but the rate seems to be better than money changers…at least last time I checked. ATMs all over terminal area.

Please note, though, that there is only one ATM I know of in Padre Burgos (near police station), if that is where you are headed. Also, need to make sure your resort accepts credit cards for room / incidentals. Most of our expenses there last couple weeks were charged to room. Transport fee is often cash only direct to driver, depending on where you are staying. Tips will, of course, require cash.

If you are going to be in the Philippines for a few weeks, heartily recommend setting up a GCash account! Accepted everywhere, it is a Philippines-developed, no-fee payment system like PayPal on steroids, and has really taken off since our last visit. It is run by the Philippines Central Bank (BSP - Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas). Payments and sending money uses QR codes…the vendor shows it to you, you point your phone at it and payment is pending…requires you to confirm on app. That’s it. Requires a Philippine cell SIM, or working home country phone with you, but those are available outside the NAIA terminal bag claim. Can’t verify without working cell, either from home country or the PI. Apps for both Android and iOS.

GCash can be used for local purchases even in the remote areas, and you can “Cash In” or “Cash Out” all over the PI at many, many diverse kinds of stores and shops. You will see GCash signs far more places than you will see ATMs. Can be tied to your bank card, or loaded from a credit card. We used Philippine Pesos to “Cash In” rather than tie account to a card, so not sure if there are fees involved with that aspect.

Need a bus or ferry ticket? GCash! Pay restaurant bill? GCash. Need a “load” for your phone (minutes / data)…GCash. Need Grab Food wallet refilled? GCash! Transfer money to a driver or local? Everyone has GCash…lol.

Have a blast. Diving there is wonderful. Didn’t meet a single diver in two weeks who was unhappy with diving, even with more rain and lower viz than usual. Weather pattern has been much better since we left. 🤣🤷‍♂️
Thanks for this helpful input !!

Peters set up my transit as well. I dont think $85 US is unreasonable for the 3 plus hour drive. Worth it for me not to have to haggle or be in a non-ac ride for the trip.

Side note, if you do this, the MacArthur national park is right by the road outside of Tacloban City. The driver was willing to stop on the way down, but i was exhausted and just wanted to get moving, which was a mistake. Very impressive site. I wanted to stop on the way back, but it was pouring rain that day so I was like, drive on.

Just a quick feedback as I started my journey into this beautiful country.

Arrived at NAIA T1, with 2 hours of delay.
In T1 there is globe/smart for 1500php (70go)
There is 2 exchanges in T1: 54.50php/EUR and 56.50. this rate is the same as the one that we found in T3.

The shuttle bus between terminals is close to the globe/smart desk and is for free. Expect delays and waiting (around 30min) and around 20min of bus between t1 and t3 but it is free and open all night.

Be aware that they will do a pile with all the luggages so if you have some fragile stuff maybe prefer the taxi option.

We created a gcash account indeed it was very easy.
We also took the transfer from Peter, it seems cheap for not having to swim between public transportation after more than 30h of plane.

Note: Cebu airline wasn't too strict with the weights, we had 3x20 and could pass with 3x23 kg without issues.
Peters set up my transit as well. I dont think $85 US is unreasonable for the 3 plus hour drive. Worth it for me not to have to haggle or be in a non-ac ride for the trip.

Side note, if you do this, the MacArthur national park is right by the road outside of Tacloban City. The driver was willing to stop on the way down, but i was exhausted and just wanted to get moving, which was a mistake. Very impressive site. I wanted to stop on the way back, but it was pouring rain that day so I was like, drive on.
Amazing advice we will check with the driver of we can pass through!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom