Take my advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We wear neoprene gloves and boots and that never causes problems.

One of the characteristics of contact dermatitis of any kind is that it behaves in an asymmetric manner. This means that you can be literally covered w/ the injurious substance and not all the covered surfaces are going to be affected. For instance, almost my whole body was covered with the wetsuit, but the entire body did not react to it, instead a small area. And then again, my wife was not affected at all.

This leads to another warning: people that are atopic ( people that suffer from allergies, asthma, hives,etc...) should be extra careful, because these people are more prone to have an episode of contact dermatitis. I've always suffered from allergic rhinitis.

Take care.

I keep in my cell phone, as well as handy elsehwere at all times: 800-446-2671.

I already copied all the numbers on my cell phone. Got to keep it safe.
Thx.

I've seen it before.
I had a buddy who had the same problem. I'd suggest you consider a dry suit (Tri-lminate) with polyurethane backing.The underwear helps keep you from direct contact with the suit. Latex wrist and neck seals instead of neoprene, unless you're also alergic to latex. Try wear ing the cuff of a latex glove on your wrist for afew hours.

Good Luck

Mike D

Hmmmmm, I don't like hearing about these neoprene allergies. I'm a dentist with a horrible latex sensitivity, a 1/2 hour in latex gloves used to leave my hands covered with hives and itching uncontrollably, thank goodness nitrile gloves became readily available around ten years ago. So far I've been in a number of rental wetsuits(all 7mm suits) and I own a 3mm shorty and haven't had a problem so far. I've been thinking about getting a 3 or 5mm fullsuit and was thinking that contact dermatitis wasn't going to be a problem for me, but from what I've been reading I may not be out of the woods yet. Is there any particular brand that anyone is having more problems with.

Enter the DIVE SKIN!

Can be had at quality dive shops everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom