Taking a cruise to Cozumel, diving suggestion please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quadcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all I am planning a trip over spring break with some friends to Cozumel, Mexico. We will be taking a cruise and I want to know if it is better to book a diving trip through the cruise line or book separately (if this is even an option). If you book on your own without using the cruise line, do you take a big risk in not making it back on time? And if anyone knows any good companies they would recommend in the area that would be awesome.

Thanks,

DJ

Book the dives on your own. The local operators are very aware of getting divers back to the ship on time. We were there on Friday and did two great dives and were back on the ship at 2:30 pm (ship arrived at 8 am, dive was supposed to start at 9 am but was delayed because folks from the Allure of the Seas were late looking for someone who had gone overboard just when they reached Coz).

What company did you book with? And thanks for the input.

We dove with Papa Hog's last years. Close to the port. Small boats. Great dives. Not fancy but very enjoyable and beautiful dives.

As newbie divers, I am guessing you do not own your own gear. For that reason alone, go with the cruise ship dive arrangements! You will need to meet the boat, go to their facility and get fitted for all gear, then go do the 2 dives, return to facility to return gear, then back to cruise ship. This will take the majority of the day.
If you book with a dive op on your own, they will have to do the same... take you to their dive facility to fit you for gear, then go out to dive. This means they cannot put you on a boat already scheduled to go out as those people will have their gear already.

So ... unless you are booking at least 4 people for the boat to make it cost effective for them, you may have issues finding a dive op that wants to book with you. Cozumel has SMALL dive ops primarily, with only 1 boat each that seats 6-10 people. They are not going to hold up their boat for morning dives just to fit you for gear. I know you don't want to hear this, but most land-based divers in Cozumel do not want to dive with people from a cruise ship for this reason.

Go with the dive op arrangements through the cruise ship. It will be a more pleasant experience for YOU, as a NEW DIVER. Once you buy all your own gear and get more experience, then I would recommend you book on your own, but not until.

Just my 2 cents.
robin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom