Taking a cruise to Cozumel, diving suggestions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quadcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all I am planning a trip over spring break with some friends to Cozumel, Mexico. We will be taking a cruise and I want to know if it is better to book a diving trip through the cruise line or book separately (if this is even an option). If you book on your own without using the cruise line, do you take a big risk in not making it back on time? And if anyone knows any good companies they would recommend in the area that would be awesome.

Thanks,

DJ

I would book separately if I were you. Why pay the cruise ship for the diving? There are plenty of good op for cruisers. We dive with Scuba with Alision She is the owner and DM and has a nice size converted sportfisher that is both comfortable and fast. We have adjusted departure times to meet cruisers' schedules. None of them every missed a the boat either! :) I imagine though most OPs wouldn't last too long if they causes you to miss the boat.

Book independently if you can!!!! We actually did our first couple trips to Coz on cruise ships. Since Coz is a relatively small island, it's not a big problem to book independent and get back to your ship with plenty of time. Although you may have to shop around a bit to find an op to fit your schedule... depending on what time the ship docks. And as time gets closer, you may have availability problems, as the good ops get booked up!! Like cv, we use Scuba with Alison. We stumbled across her 7+ years ago while looking for an op to use on a cruise ship stop. Alison was great, and actually was able to adjust her schedule a bit to accommodate us. It was a matter of jump ship, grab a cab to the marina, fill out a bit of paperwork and have FUN!! After that we booked with her on any Coz cruise stops, then eventually just started flying in to spend a week or more diving with her. (We're spending 9 days with her in March!) I'm sure some others will chime in with recommendations, and the best I could suggest is shoot off e-mails asap to those that interest you to see who has space for you, and times that work.

Hello all I am planning a trip over spring break with some friends to Cozumel, Mexico. We will be taking a cruise and I want to know if it is better to book a diving trip through the cruise line or book separately (if this is even an option). If you book on your own without using the cruise line, do you take a big risk in not making it back on time? And if anyone knows any good companies they would recommend in the area that would be awesome.

Thanks,

DJ

You didn't say when your going to be on island. From now till March the island will be very busy. I've dove through out the Caribbean on cruise ships and always booked the diving separate from the ship and never had a problem. There are many good ops that can take you diving. Pick one with multiple boats because by the time you get off the ship the normal morning two tank dive boats will have left already.
This is who I dive with and they leave from a pier right in town (Aldora pier):
Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel
For a late departure dive boat look here (approx 5 hours total time):
Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel
Aldora has a US based phone number you can call. Better start contacting who ever you dive with as space is limited. Don't wait!
Your gonna love Cozumel and want to come back...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom