Taking Cameras on Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the size of the boat, too.

A soft sided collapsible cooler is an excellent option - and they make them large enough for my dslr rig and strobe...I just bought one and it's great. Not only is it easy to carry and stow, but it acts as a personal rinse bucket and helps keep your gear one temp.

Biggest thing about cameras on boats is to remember that it is your responsibility to keep the camera safe. Don't assume the crew or other passengers will take care of it for you. This means never leave it on a surface it can fall from, never leave it where someone may put their foot or drop a weight, never leave it in the sun, never leave it in a communal rinse bucket, never leave it on the seat, never climb a ladder with it, always have it handed to you once you are in the water. Conditions too rough for that? Leave it on the boat or have a line over the side to drop it down on (this works a treat on tiny boats, too).

I travel with this soft cooler case and a padded camera backpack. It all gets packed into my main luggage and checked.

Back
Top Bottom