Taking medication pills while underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can tell you that, for me, if I saw my dive partner taking medication while below the surface of the water, I would immediately call/abort the dive, especially if I was not informed of the issue the medication was being taken for prior to entering the water. If I was informed that medication was being carried, to be taken while in the water, I would politely excuse myself and find another partner or just not dive that day.

Being asymptomatic is not the same as taking medication to suppress the signs/symptoms of an ailment. Being asymptomatic refers to not having any issues related to the ailment for a referenced period of time.

-Z

Goodness me, do I really need to explain myself further?
I know what asymptomatic means.
I have been asymptomatic for years.
I haven't used medicine for years.
I even only experienced this problem once.
I wouldn't take the pills during dives, and if I needed them at some point, that would absolutely 100% be reason to abort the dive.

For some reason you have gotten the idea, that I rutinely take the pills and that I need to do it underwater.
Let me reiterate.
I do not need the pills. I merely would like to have them, in the very unlikely event, should I get painful heartburn. Is that unreasonable?

You are arguing like bringing a pony bottle is reason for disqualification, as if needing a pony bottle brings ones capability as a diver into question.

Now can we get to the original question that for some reason is very difficult to stay with.
Does anyone know of a way to bring 1-2 pills underwater?

I do not need the pills. I merely would like to have them, in the very unlikely event, should I get painful heartburn. Is that unreasonable?

Since you asked. In my opinion, yes, it is very unreasonable. If you believe you might have an episode of painful heartburn that in the past has resulted in you losing consciousness, then I would question the sanity of anyone entering the water with you. Either you need medication to control your condition or you do not. If you do, then you are not asymptomatic and perhaps should not be diving considering your history. If you do not need the medication to control your condition then you don't need to carry them in the water. Replace "heart burn" with "epilepsy" in each of your posts and then tell me if your mental approach changes.

Had your condition just been "heart burn" that would be one thing. But you expressed that you have a history, even if it is only once, that the pain from your heart burn was so severe that you lost consciousness. Now you want to know how you could carry and possibly take medication while you are underwater in the event that you experience heart burn pain again? You don't. If you become incapacitated due to pain or by falling unconscious then you are liability for your dive partner. If you are so concerned that you may have an episode that you feel the need to carry medication during the dive then you either do not believe you are diving without risk or you are diving with risk and ignoring it....both are concerning.

But as is often repeated...there are no SCUBA police out there...so you do whatever you want. I just know what my reaction would be. And I only hope you are disclosing this information to the people you are entering the water with.

Good luck to you.

-Z

Goodness me, do I really need to explain myself further?
I know what asymptomatic means.
I have been asymptomatic for years.
I haven't used medicine for years.
I even only experienced this problem once.
I wouldn't take the pills during dives, and if I needed them at some point, that would absolutely 100% be reason to abort the dive.

For some reason you have gotten the idea, that I rutinely take the pills and that I need to do it underwater.
Let me reiterate.

You are arguing like bringing a pony bottle is reason for disqualification, as if needing a pony bottle brings ones capability as a diver into question.

Now can we get to the original question that for some reason is very difficult to stay with.

If you don’t plan on taking them underwater, then why ask about carrying them on a dive? That’s my question.

I don't think I've e
I’m sorry for refloating this dead post, but I feel that the question hasn’t been answered.
I have the same question, particularly when it comes to heartburn.
I very rarely get heartburn, but I have tried it once a few years ago where I actually ended up passing out after an approximate hour of extreme pain. It’s also the one and only time in my life that I have passed out.
I have since tried different over the counters, and found a chewable that completely solves the issue.
This is not something that happens often, maybe once every 2 years, but i wouldn’t want it to happen underwater. I always carry a couple of these pills just in case, and figured that I really should do the same underwater.

I would therefore like to bring a couple of chewable pills when diving, just in case, but I can’t find any info on it.
The closest thing i could find was from this site: Preventing Heartburn when Diving

The article however doesn’t say how the tablets are wrapped up.
Any suggestions anyone?

Hi @FlutterTubes

Just so someone says it here, are you certain that the pain that caused you to become unconscious was from heartburn? I've never heard of heartburn pain so bad that it caused unconsciousness, but I have heard of chest pain that FEELS like heartburn but is actually related to myocardial ischemia which in turn leads to a cardiac disrhythmia that leads to unconsciousness.

The article you linked is interesting. Gastric pressures have been measured in different positions in immersed individuals, and it's been found that in an upright position, the pressure in the stomach is higher than that in the upper esophagus, probably due to the difference in hydrostatic pressure. So, an upright position may not be the right fix for everyone. Also, the effect of gravity could lead to reflux in a head-down position after a heavy meal. As for carrying antacid pills under water, I'd echo what the other posters said in that it could cause alarm among the dive group if you're seen taking pills under water. Also, the act of dealing with sudden-onset severe heartburn under water will increase your task loading and thus the possibility of something going wrong. What if you're diving in a heavy current, mid-water in poor visibility, or inside a wreck? What if you're ascending to a deco stop and need to track your time and depth? Perhaps if you can keep your wits about you in these circumstances and can pull off downing a chewable antacid underwater, this may be a workable solution, but I'd be hesitant to recommend it, especially over the internet. I would be much more likely to recommend preventive measures.

Best regards,
DDM

I've had heartburn on dives, usually in the morning after eating scrambled eggs or anytime after eating something too acidic for me, like orange slices on a SI. The LAST thing that would occur to me is to take an antacid pill while diving! Instead, I adjust my eating to avoid heartburn. Seems to work.

Reactions: Zef

Bottom line, don't feel well? Call the dive. There isn't a pill around that is gonna do ya any good before you surface and get out of the water. Where you can take pills to your hearts content.

Reactions: Zef
Alright thanks for the input.
I guess I will just not do it. I really thought that I was being extra thoughtful to consider it. I didn't anticipate that everyone would freak out about it like this.
Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the seriousness of loss of consciousness, but this is something that happened only once, many years ago after hours of severe pain (plenty of warning). I have been completely cleared to dive by my doctor, and I am completely well and good :)

Either you need medication to control your condition or you do not. If you do, then you are not asymptomatic and perhaps should not be diving considering your history. If you do not need the medication to control your condition then you don't need to carry them.

Yes I guess you are right. And I do in fact not need it, so I will not bring it.

but I have heard of chest pain that FEELS like heartburn but is actually related to myocardial ischemia which in turn leads to a cardiac disrhythmia that leads to unconsciousness.
That was ruled out with an ECG and echocardiogram
Everything looked great. :heart:
It was indeed only gastric reflux :popcorn::cheers:

Thanks guys and gals. Your input was very helpful. Let's allow this thread to sink back into the abyss, where it came from.

I've had heartburn on dives, usually in the morning after eating scrambled eggs or anytime after eating something too acidic for me, like orange slices on a SI.
Yes! When this happened to me, I had just eaten a big brunch with exactly scrambled eggs and orange juice. Also I had sour gummy bears, coffee and an Advil (Ibuprofen) which is horrible for the stomach.
My girlfriend still teases me with the gummy bears :p

Back
Top Bottom