Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first BCD was a BP/W, acquired right after OW. I set it up myself with info from the net. A few months later, in a vain attempt at Fundies, the only changes they made were tweaks to the D-ring positioning, so it's not rocket surgery. There's a lot more info, including video, out there now.

My first BCD was a BP/W, acquired right after OW. I set it up myself with info from the net. A few months later, in a vain attempt at Fundies, the only changes they made were tweaks to the D-ring positioning, so it's not rocket surgery. There's a lot more info, including video, out there now.

I agree, but maybe there are some people out there for whom even watching a video, threading a harness, etc.--maybe a total of a couple of hours of effort--is more hassle than they wish to deal with in acquiring a new BC. Maybe, despite the best intentions of SB'ers (including me), a BP/W is not everyone's cup of tea. On the other hand, I believe there are dealers who will actually thread the harness for you if you ask.

I agree, but maybe there are some people out there for whom even watching a video, threading a harness, etc.--maybe a total of a couple of hours of effort--is more hassle than they wish to deal with in acquiring a new BC. Maybe, despite the best intentions of SB'ers (including me), a BP/W is not everyone's cup of tea. On the other hand, I believe there are dealers who will actually thread the harness for you if you ask.
The one I bought it from did but it did need some tweeking after my initial dives (partially because I am losing weight). One of the main ones was the crotch strap being waaaay too long (like leaving it about a foot too long so it was hanging 6" too low).

In a way that is the point. This thread was about talking *OUT* so take issues as they are presented. Yep, personally, I did look at the videos and read various boards. Yep. That is extra research that those who are a bit more serious in their search will take the extra effort to exert. FLDSs don't often have the counter help or DMs with BP/W experience - as others have said. So, nothing disparaging just a consideration for the talking *OUT* request.

Should I put ice in my Whiskey? Talk me out of it. Sometimes de gustibus non est disputandum.

It's only more complicated for a new diver because of buckle threading unfamiliarity so spend an evening in front of the TV threading buckles and tank straps until you can do it in your sleep and you'll be good to go.

How can backplates be unfamiliar to anyone in resorts and not allow them because before the early late 70's - early 80's and the Scubapro Stab Jacket, every diver dived either a plain harness attached to the tank/bands or plastic/metal backplates sometimes with a BC and sometimes not - it's just a method to hold your tank in a comfortable position on you as you dive.

Last edited:
In a way that is the point. This thread was about talking *OUT* so take issues as they are presented. Yep, personally, I did look at the videos and read various boards. Yep. That is extra research that those who are a bit more serious in their search will take the extra effort to exert. FLDSs don't often have the counter help or DMs with BP/W experience - as others have said. So, nothing disparaging just a consideration for the talking *OUT* request.

Should I put ice in my Whiskey? Talk me out of it. Sometimes de gustibus non est disputandum.

Definitely not is it is whisky (note the dropped "e") whereas adding a little water generally improves it - link.

It's only more complicated for a new diver because of buckle threading unfamiliarity so spend an evening in front of the TV threading buckles and tank straps until you can do it in your sleep and you'll be good to go.

How can backplates be unfamiliar to anyone because before the early late 70's - early 80's and the Scubapro Stab Jacket, every diver dived backplates sometimes with a BC and sometimes not - it's just a method to hold your tank on, let's not make it too intimidating

You have to remember that a lot of people diving now were probably not alive in the 70's and 80's and will never have seen anyone diving with a plate never mind actually getting near one. A hell of a lot of shops don't stock them at all never mind know how to assemble or properly adjust them with some actually actively discouraging people from them (might be due to profit margins). My dive buddy 2 weeks back asked me "what the hell is that?" referring to the BP&W as he had never dived with anyone using one so I had to do a quick run through on it (he is now considering one when his jacket needs replaced).

Out of 45 divers (over 2 weekend trips), myself and an instructor were the only people in BP&W. I only bought one due to that instructor showing me it back when I did my OW course. If it weren't for that instructor I would bet none would have seen a BP&W set up.

One of the main ones was the crotch strap being waaaay too long (like leaving it about a foot too long so it was hanging 6" too low).

I hope you took that as a compliment.

Back
Top Bottom