Tall and slim wetsuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jphealy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm planning a trip around the world for next year over about 5 months. I'll be diving in various places such as Malaysia, Great Barrier Reef and Fiji. I need a new wetsuit as the one I have is really only suitable for colder water (semi dry 7mm farmer john and 5mm hooded jacket). My problem is that I'm very tall and slim (6'3" and 135lb - so I guess slim is an understatement!) My semi-dry is custom made but the company in Ireland that made it don't do that any more, so I might have to try and buy one off the rack.I've been told that surf wetsuits tend to be available in a greater range of sizes. Is this true and is there any significant difference between surf and scuba wetsuits? Can anyone reccomend a brand that make particularly tall slim wetsuits? I'm thinking of probably a full length 5mm and maybe adding a vest underneath, assuming it isn't very close fitting around the torso (would this help the fit?). Also, would this provide about the right level of warmth, keeping in mind I'll be in Fiji in their winter and I have pretty much zero body fat and do feel the cold!?Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry about the long post!John

I use a dive skin in Malaysia, Aus waters can be equally warm.
Investigation shows Fiji varies between mid 80's in April down to 78 in September see

http://www.naia.com.fj/research/water.html

At the most all you should need is a properly fitted 3mm.

I would get a custom 3mm and a custom dive skin if the budget will stretch that far. A 3mm shorty would, probably, be enough if, like me, you want to reduce the amount of lead you need.

My problem is that I don't think I have the option of getting a custom suit at the moment, as nobody does them where I am.

Have you tried BARE wetsuits? They have a bigger sizing chart than most I've seen. I bought one in August and logged about 30 dives this summer with it. Fits great, was easy to put on and take off. The guys at scubatoys helped me with the sizing but I'm sure most shops that sell them can do that for you. I'm 6'3" and 170lbs, mine fits like a glove.

Thanks for all the advice. I've just checked out the Bare website and they don't seem to be available at all in Ireland. They do look nice though.

ScubaL makes custom suits and it seems that they ship worldwide. Buying this way is risky of course, but if a suit is made to your exact specifications it's unlikely that it wouldn't fit.

I thought about the option of ordering a custom suit from outside the country but just thought the risk of it being wrong was too big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom