Tank covers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen some pretty cool things but one thing remains constant, to adequately vis and inspect a tank it all comes off.
Sorry that is what most VIP inspectors in my area require.
I try to look at tank protection as common sense and do not abuse them.
Most tanks get banged or scarred in transport so I try to keep them padded and secure while in transport.
It does not take a cover to do that.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I have never used them so I cannot speak to the snagging issue. I see no problem with the mesh but the ones that coat the tank like a skin could trap water against the tank for long periods. This would be more of a problem for a steel tank then an aluminum tank.

Boots on for pool diving and I use mesh covers on the tanks after diving for transport.. I think it helps keep the tanks from rolling around and sliding... keeps them looking nice... Yes I want to enjoy looking at my vintage double 72's ... [url]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachments/do-yourself-diy/133656d1345851617t-doubles-redone-2012-08-24_17-38-01_149.jpg [/URL]:wink: I take good care of all my gear... I don't put the stuff in two piles when cleaning and caring for it... It's all need to keep me and my dive buddies alive, and should be treated as such....

jim

I have never seen a tank slip out of its strap when it had a mesh cover on it.

I have never seen a tank slip out of its strap when it had a mesh cover on it.

That is one of the few benefits to having the mesh sleeve on it......it makes the strap stick like glue. I personally still prefer a tank with some personality (a few marks on it) so I have never thought of covering any of mine up.

My rule is, I take care of my gear the way I want and you take care of your gear the way you want. The judgment should be about how you dive not what you dive.

When someone tells me what REAL divers use, I start fondleing the big dive knife on my calf and muttering under my breath about how long it's been since I've used it. The lecture trails off, and people have told me there is no use for a large dive knife anymore.

Bob
-------------------------------------
On the Internet you can choose to be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

I just started diving and dive in freshwater where visibility is limited. I got a neon green mesh cover just so it's easier for my buddies to find me (everything else is black, except my mask which is yellow).

I have a mesh, when I am ready to put on BCD, I take the upper part of the net cover and pull it down half way. This exposes a smooth side of the tank for a BCD's strap. When I am ready to go home, I roll it back up.

I have one metalic coloured AL80 where I use the mesh cover. This is because it is the one tank I have ever had slip using my bio tank lock (on the BC strap). The mesh helps keep this tank from slipping. I have never had any "snagging" problems.

A tank is not a piece of furniture. No cover is needed.

adam

LOL Reminds me of some friends who still had plastic covers on their couch after 25 years. Every time I sat down, I made a fart noise and when it was hot, you would sweat and slip off. But boy did that wood furniture with the water wheels and forest trees look new!!! :)

---------- Post Merged at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:59 PM ----------

I have one metalic coloured AL80 where I use the mesh cover. This is because it is the one tank I have ever had slip using my bio tank lock (on the BC strap). The mesh helps keep this tank from slipping. I have never had any "snagging" problems.

Solving a problem with a problem? :wink: I have never had a tank slip out when I have taken the time to make sure it is on properly and that everything is adjusted correctly. Not that I am saying you or anyone else didn't. I don't know, I am not being sarcastic, but I have never been a big fan of adding stuff to solve problems that can be avoided with the right gear or a little time in the first place. Mesh covers and bio-locks included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom