Tank explosion kills one - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When in Coz I saw some really scary tanks. Looked like the valves were permanently corroded to the cylinder, that was the appearance anyway. Like the one in this pic I took. Zoom in on the close up pic and tell me how long you thing is was since the last time the valve was off this tank. This one wasn't as bad as some others. I know they see a lot of use down there, but still made me cringe.
closeup.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:
This is fairly common problem in the Caribbean. No regulations only guidelines. Just know your operator well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Emphasis mine)

I know that the hydro stamp is a US/Canadian DOT regulation for pressurized cylinders. It isn't a scuba diving regulation. Does Mexico even have this testing requirement for pressurized cylinders?

Pretty much the entire civilized world requires hydro testing on pressurized cylinders. Many are more strict than the US.

Diving cylinder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure if Mexico has any legal requirements, but most (all?) of Europe does, as well as Australia.

Even without the law behind it, I would think that self preservation would encourage the required testing.

I don't think I've ever heard of a properly inspected cylinder exploding.

flots.

I don't think I've ever heard of a properly inspected cylinder exploding.

If you take the one day PSI course certifying you to inspect tanks, approximately 40% of the day is spent looking at pictures of exploded tanks. I have no way of knowing whether they were properly or improperly inspected before the explosions.

(BTW, in case you are interested, here is how the remaining 60% of the day breaks down:

Information related to tank inspections: 20%
Practice inspecting tanks: 5%
Stories detailing the greatness of PSI as an organization: 35%)

Bad news...sad to hear about another one blowing up....

We were relaxing in the hammocks when the tank blew...it sounded like a bomb went off. We immediately ran over to offer assistance and the Coz paramedics were on scene within minutes. On Tuesday night, during the beach party, one of the members of our group did a bit of fundraising among all the guests. It was very touching to see how quickly everyone opened their hearts and wallets to help his family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom