Tank explosion kills one - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To send a donation to help Juan's family please use Western Union. Here is the information that you will need: Name: Silvia Sobernis (paternal) Rangel (maternal). State: Quintana Roo City: Cozumel Mobile number: 9871173876 You will receive a tracking number (MTCN) please send that directly to Sophia at Scuba Club: sofia4scc@gmail.com Silvia and her children will need that tracking number to be able to pick up the money. Sorry it's so complicated, but help is needed.

We were there last week and had a rupture disc on one of the tanks fail while the gear was getting set up. No one was hurt.

We were there last week and had a rupture disc on one of the tanks fail while the gear was getting set up. No one was hurt.
That's not when one is supposed to fail, is it? Scary enough...

Just curious about the procedures used in Cozumel for filling tanks. I'm certainly no expert - in 24 years I've only actually watched tanks being filled 4 times. But in each case, once at the fill stations at each of two Scuba parks, and once at each of two Scuba retailers, the tanks were placed in a water-filled trough made of concrete about 4 inches thick, long enough to hold several tanks, deep enough to cover a standard AL 100 up to the neck with water, and just wide enough to hold a tank while allowing it to easily move along the length of the trough. The water was used to cool the tanks as they were being filled, and the purpose of the heavy concrete trough was to protect against explosions - it wouldn't stop bad tanks from exploding, but it would direct the explosion straight up, preventing shards of metal from flying around the room. In one case, I've seen this trough equipped with steel bolted in at the top on front and back, with an opening just large enough for the valve end of the tank. The trough was open at the top on both ends, so a tank could be dropped in, then slid along the trough so that it was semi-covered by the steel flanges before the fill hose was attached. It strikes me that this arrangement, while it wouldn't prevent explosions, would significantly reduce the risks. Also, cooling the tanks with water while they are being filled just might allow tanks to actually be filled to their rated capacity.

That's not when one is supposed to fail, is it? Scary enough...

Tanks usually fail while filling.

Burst disks usually go when the tank heats up in the sun or a car.

OTOH, if the disk got the same attention as the tank, it could just as easily be metal fatigue, since burst disks are by design, thin.

I get mine changed and get the valve services when the hydro is done. For some of the rentals, the schedule for all three could easily be "never.

flots.

Just curious about the procedures used in Cozumel for filling tanks. I'm certainly no expert - in 24 years I've only actually watched tanks being filled 4 times. But in each case, once at the fill stations at each of two Scuba parks, and once at each of two Scuba retailers, the tanks were placed in a water-filled trough made of concrete about 4 inches thick, long enough to hold several tanks, deep enough to cover a standard AL 100 up to the neck with water, and just wide enough to hold a tank while allowing it to easily move along the length of the trough. The water was used to cool the tanks as they were being filled, and the purpose of the heavy concrete trough was to protect against explosions - it wouldn't stop bad tanks from exploding, but it would direct the explosion straight up, preventing shards of metal from flying around the room. In one case, I've seen this trough equipped with steel bolted in at the top on front and back, with an opening just large enough for the valve end of the tank. The trough was open at the top on both ends, so a tank could be dropped in, then slid along the trough so that it was semi-covered by the steel flanges before the fill hose was attached. It strikes me that this arrangement, while it wouldn't prevent explosions, would significantly reduce the risks. Also, cooling the tanks with water while they are being filled just might allow tanks to actually be filled to their rated capacity.

If the tanks are filled at the appropriate rate there is no need for a water bath. Have a look on the PSI site for references on this matter.

The large majority of tanks in Cozumel are filled by the local gas supplier and as such it is quite a sophisticated operation in fact I have not seen a fill station which is larger in my travels. One hundred and eighty tanks can be filled simultaneously as shown in the photo below. It is good to hear that this outfit does require require hydros on the tanks which they refill, however I'm sure there are lots of mom and pop fill stations on the island where outdated tanks are filled regardless of condition.

One only has to read this report to understand what a cup or two of salt water inside a scuba tank can do to its structural integrity after only three months. Those rental tanks take a lot of abuse and it is quite probable that the odd one is breathed down to zero psi underwater allowing sea water to enter the tank.

Even if the tank is VIPed yearly internal seawater could present a real risk for tank failure due to corrosion. As one of the photos above shows though there are many tanks on Cozumel and in the Caribbean in general where the interior never sees the light of day after purchase until they are replaced ten or fifteen years later.
Investigation of scuba cylinder corrosion, Phase 1.

Condolences to the family.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,386
Very sad. I have personally filled thousands of tanks over the years and have -fortunately - never had one rupture/explode on me. But I will freely tell you that filling a tank, especially if it's one you don't know (in other words, not yours) can be a scary experience. When I first got certified, I was told the explosive content of a tank under pressure is equivalent to that of two sticks of dynamite. And I certainly wouldn't want to be standing next to two sticks of dynmatie when they went off so that image has stuck with me for close to 40 years now.

Numerous quick thoughts and I'll start here:

Was this a preventable death, or just a freak accident?
Good question and hard to know with the facts as presented. But given the rarity of tank explosions (as mentioned in other comments), my first instinct is that there was something wrong with the tank that could/should have been detected by proper hydro/VIP/eddy test.

Question (and I don't know): Was this a Scuba Club tank (part of their regular rentals) or was it a private (inidivudal's) tank?

Regarding burst discs: They designed to SAFELY vent the air out of the tank. In fact, the whole idea of a burst disc is that it gives way BEFORE the tank explodes and in fact PREVENTS the tank from exploding. So the question here would be why that apparently didn't happen.

As to whether it could have been a hose or compressor part blowing: From the descriptions others have posted about a loud boom, it sure sounds like the tank. From what the doctor said it in the article about multiple metal shards and the amputated limb, it sounds more like a tank. A hose that blows will be loud and whip around (NOTE: Don't try to catch it while it's doing that) but it's very different.

As to filling in water: It does absolutely nothing except kill you AND get you wet. For years people thought water would help contain the explosive force. It doesn't. All the water does is hopefully keep the tank cool while filling. But if you're over-filling the tank (a possible cause of an explosion) or there's metal fatigue, the water isn't going to help.

As to the concrete tubs: They're not always as strong as they seem and somethimes the explosion tears them apart and then the flying concrete becomes more debris that can kill or maim.

Blast containment: If you really want to follow all the rules, you need a proper blast container to fill the tanks. These are designed to direct blast upwards, away from people, not explode themselves, etc. There are many to choose from but this is what the one from Nuvair looks like. Note that the tanks slide in and then the whole thing closes up. (We use a similar one at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific for our tank fills):
Nuvair blast containment.jpg

You would also tend to think that if this was the tank exploding, there would be far more damage to the room/building in which the explosion occured due to the force of the blast (and this assumes it happened close to the tanks rated pressure, not early in the process). Anyone have any first-hand info on that? (Note the phrase is "first-hand" as in "saw it youtrself" as opposed to "someone told me".)

A lot of times, divers don't realize or appreciate how dangerous those metal bombs we strap on our backs can be. While an explosion like this is a tragic but rare occurence, it's also an episode from which we all can learn. If you own a shop where you're doing fills, I'm hoping you'll take a look at your fill station and think if it really meets the don't-kill-people-if-it-explodes standard. And if you're Joe or Jane Diver, maybe give some thought next time to hanging around the fill station while the process is ongoing. There are safer places to be should something go wrong.

- Ken

Any update on what actually happened ?? By all accounts it does appear that a tank exploded.

Patiently waiting for updates.

Divegoose

I enjoyed my first stay at SCC a few weeks back (July) and loved every minute of it. If I had one complaint though, it was the tanks. They were very poorly maintained. We did 22 dives in 6 days between 4 people, so we went through 88 tanks/fills. I would say well over half of the air tanks we used while shore diving were leaking from the valve stems and showed signs of corrosion. I don't know if this is a contributing cause of the accident, but it was the one thing that really bothered me on our trip. Otherwise, it was wonderful and I'm so sorry to hear about this young man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom