Tank Failed then Unfailed - opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
I had my 88 alum hydro tested at a reputable dive shop in Sydney. They put it thru the relevent tests and it was failed as having a fine fracture in the neck.

The tank was then stamped (the normal permanant way) as FAILED.

The tank is not even 4 yrs old and i was informed that it would be replacd under warrenty. I then contacted the manuafactours and explained the situation and was told to return it at my cost (courier fee of $45)and they would send a new one back to me at their cost.

I have just been informed by my dive shop that the manuafactor returned my origianl tank and said that they had examined the tank and identified why the shop would of failed it. However the manufactors did their own extensive tests and decided to UNFAIL IT..

(firstly the dive shop guys are great, always very helpful and cooperative.)

Heres my Dilemma,
I had intended on selling the new tank (i'd since bought a new steelie) and using the money to buy a new pony bottle with the extra money going towards a reg.

I now doubt i could sell the returned tank as i would be very surprised if anyone would be happy to buy a second hand tank with a FAILED stamp on it even though it has a new update passed stamp.

PLUS, when your life depends on the condition of your gear I am reluctant to use it myself, it would always be in the back of my mind that something could go wrong with it. -

QUESTION 1

AM I BEING OVER CAUTIOUS AND TOO PRECIOUS ?

The dive manager was good enough too offer me a second hand pony bottle in exchange for the tank which they could just utilise in the service bay.

QUESTION 2

My other thought was to go back to the manufactor and have a serious discussion about me being slightly adament that it should be replaced unnder warrenty given a reputable dive shop had failed it. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

my costs to date:- (failed hydro test $44.00aus courier $45.00aus
second hydro test to pass (unfail) $44.00aus) ( Although i dont think my dive shop will charge me for the second test but not sure yet)

Possible total costs $133.00aus)

I dont see the dive shop being at fault as they did all the tests, machine and visual and the machine gave two indications of a fine crack confirmed by a visual. The manuaftoures explained that the dive shop were right regarding what they identified as a faulkt however their tests showed it to be a slight imperfection that is no problem to the tanks condition.

Look forward to your opinions.

THANKS ALL.

My personal opinion - get away from that tank as fast as you can.

You could always talk with the local shop, see if they are willing to "swap" the cracked tank for the pony bottle while you "haggle" with the manufacturer, and if they finally agree to replace the tank under warranty, you can switch back with the dive shop.

Either way, I wouldn't be going anywhere near a tank with a crack in it.

looking at your out of pocket expenses and the nice offer from the store, I would suggest that you take the pony and run, that is what you really wanted anyway right?

No one in their right mind will buy the unfailed tank and no one else (except the particular LDS) will fill it, so if you have the chance to unload it; do it before you get stuck with it.

You could contact your local chamber of commerce for some advice and demand a NEW tank form the manufacturer through the small claims court, I am sure that they would cough up rather than make a big fuss. It really sounds like an over zealous effort to reneg on their warranty to me. Failed is failed. The guys who failed it are certified by the MOT right?? You need to find out wheter it is legal for the manufacturer to actually overturn a certified test. I believe that if there is any doubt or differing opinions to the fitness of the tank, prudence says condem it anyway.

Or you can take the pony and run...

I'd badger the manufacturer first and demand a replacement, and failing that, take up the shop on its offer.

I don't like aluminum tanks near me to begin with. I'd do my best not to get within 100 feet of one that has 'FAILED' stamped onto it.

This is the key to another argument regarding warranty:
"The manuaftoures explained that the dive shop were right regarding what they identified as a faulkt however their tests showed it to be a slight imperfection that is no problem to the tanks condition"

What the manufacturer has said is they are tripling the cost of upkeep on your tank, it sounds like to me that you will go through this procedure on every hydro you make, and the cost you have incurred already could have bought a new tank. Secondly, they have admitted to defect in material (slight imperfection and defect in this case is symantics).

I personally would have a discussion with the supplier.

I think your shop has been very good to you...I hope this incident works out well for you.

I have to agree with Tom, but I don't understand how the cost got so high (about $35.00 US). Neck cracks should show up in a visual (maybe with an eddy test) which should be done before a hydro. Around here, a visual with eddy runs about $12.00 US. I'd be suspicious.

A manufacturing defect that causes the tank to fail visual (even if the defect is not dangerous) is a defect that should be covered by a US warrenty.

cancun mark:
Failed is failed. The guys who failed it are certified by the MOT right?? You need to

Not sure on this mark I don't think here in the US there is any training on vis or eddy inspections, I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Caveat: Although trained, I co not currently inspect cylinders.

My understanding is that (at least in the US), any modern (post 1989) aluminum cylinder that shows evidence of cracking should be condemned. However, sometimes tool marks or folds are mis-identified as cracks even using an eddy current machine. If that were the case, the inspector should not have condemned the cylinder, and might be considered responsible for your additional costs. It sounds like you have received verbal reports. You might want to ask to see the written report by the inspector and the letter from the manufacturer. Depending on what they show, you might also want to inquire into the degree of training and experience of the inspector. In the US, although many cylinder inspectors are trained (mostly by PSI), many others are not.

If the dive manager is willing to use the cylinder in the service bay, they do not sound overly concerned about its physical integrity.

Don’t give up and ask manufactures for a replacement tank until they will give you one. Eventually get few more tests for that tank and forward everything to manufacturer.
Get another tank and dive with don’t get near the old one even if they say is safe to dive with you would not feel safe knowing the tank has a structure problem.

Robert

Jump on the pony and ride off into the sunset, leave the cursed, blackballed, millstone around your neck of a failed tank behind :wink: Of course ask questions WRT the change and why/how the manufacturer can do that, but really try to offload that tank before you no longer can.

Back
Top Bottom