Tank fill station liability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2degrees

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the liability of having a fill station at your house? We are wanting to get one so we do not have to go 100 miles to get air. Is this a good idea if we have about 6 guys that will help with the upkeep?

Would you be charging for fills? Or having each person buy bank, bottles, filters, and other consumables? Or are the fills free to friends?

Does having them fill their own tanks change the homeowners responsibility, especially if the fills are free. What if things were reimbursed in other ways, like someone paying for something the homeowner needs, a trade of sort?

Off note, a CO meter installed might be a good thing since it is a commercial compressor system.

Liability like, providing bad air to a customer? Don't sell the air, and make sure all 6 of you are owners. No liability there, you can't sue yourself. Also, do your standard, routine maintenance, backed up with regular air tests.

You mean liability in case you blow your apartment building up? Well, it's possible, but not too likely. Probably best to put it out in the barn.

Is it a good idea as in will you save money>/ only if you get the compressor, anks, and filters for free. Understand that this is a convenience item only. It's like buying a rebreather to save money on helium. No one ever saved money on helium with a rebreather.

What is the liability of having a fill station at your house? We are wanting to get one so we do not have to go 100 miles to get air. Is this a good idea if we have about 6 guys that will help with the upkeep?

My best guess is that you'll have one guy "helping with the upkeep" and five guys that just get air.

My suggestion would be to contract with a qualified compressor service company to do the maintenanace and split the cost 6 ways. That way nobody gets screwed and you know it's being serviced properly.

flots

My problem is it seems to cost me $50 to get my tanks filled. $7 for the air and $43 for all of the things I got to have while I am at the dive shop. The station has a cascade system with tree tanks and I think it has duel compressors. It was used at a fire station at one time then a LDS had it for a few years. I used it some last year so I know it was in good shape then. We figured we could put in $100 up front to cover the cost of moving and maintaining the unit. I just do not want to get it moved and then his insurance CO says no way.

If you are concerned about air quality and your ability to maintain the purification system you can eliminate a lot of the issue with an electric drive, an oil-free compressor like a RIX, and careful air intake location. None of it is rocket science, but it is pretty difficult to pump bad gas on a properly installed electric driven oil-free compressor.

My problem is it seems to cost me $50 to get my tanks filled. $7 for the air and $43 for all of the things I got to have while I am at the dive shop. The station has a cascade system with tree tanks and I think it has duel compressors. It was used at a fire station at one time then a LDS had it for a few years. I used it some last year so I know it was in good shape then. We figured we could put in $100 up front to cover the cost of moving and maintaining the unit. I just do not want to get it moved and then his insurance CO says no way.

You need to add in the $48-$50 it costs you for your car to do the round trip to the dive shop - gas, wear & tear, etc.

and then his insurance CO says no way.

For a home compressor why would you even alert the insurance company? I wouldn't report my regular air compressor to them. It is non of their business, since it is not a business. It is just another tool in the garage.

For a home compressor why would you even alert the insurance company? I wouldn't report my regular air compressor to them. It is non of their business, since it is not a business. It is just another tool in the garage.

Good point. The explosive risk of a compressor is far less than the full tanks stored in your garage now. Do you notify the insurance company about them? Would you notify them if you bought an Acetylene torch with a 230 Ft³ Oxygen bottle?

I wouldn't be too worried about the homeowners insurance side of it. The liability is where I'd be concerned.

If God forbid something unfortunate happens while consuming a fill, questions will be asked and there's no telling where it can go. I'd get an attorney in your state involved in determining how you can protect everyone.

In the end it may be easier to learn self discipline when going in for fills.:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom