Tank fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to sell a product that had a label on the top when you opened the box. The label was designed by a very funny engineer and said "Try it our way first". Of course being a guy I ignored the label and assembled the the product my way and had to tear it half way back down once I hit a snag. I learned a lesson that no matter how smart I think I am someone else had a reason for making that label. Same thing here the tanks are rated for a reason; out of 100,000 tanks 99,999 of them can handle the higher pressure no problem. You are the unfortunate one that has the 1 that can't or are you? I for one will never find out. I look at it this way anyone who would over fill a tank will cut other corners as well and that is a a problem. Ask any tech diver you admire if they cut corners and I'll bet they do not. I only put this up since it was news to me. It was not to debate if the unsafe practice of over filling is OK, please feel free to over fill your tank (seriously it is none of my business). Please do not encourage others to do this; you have nothing to gain and they have everything to lose.

ScubaNorth:
I Ask any tech diver you admire if they cut corners and I'll bet they do not. I only put this up since it was news to me. It was not to debate if the unsafe practice of over filling is OK, please feel free to over fill your tank (seriously it is none of my business). Please do not encourage others to do this; you have nothing to gain and they have everything to lose.

It's my view that it's safe to overfill PST LP tanks and that it does not sig. shorten the life span. I think it's safe and I don't have a problem with it. Sorry that's how I feel based on what I've read and what I've heard from people who dive a lot in cave country. For me, I dive hp tanks and al tanks - which I would not overfill, but I think it's a whole different with PST lp steels - people have been overfilling for decades with no problems and in Europe the same tank is high pressure. I don't consider the practice cutting coners - I know a few decent tech divers and they all overfill their tanks some extent - the DOT numbers aren't magic.

These tanks don't explode, at worst they fail hydro in 30 years instead of 40.

MASS-Diver:
I don't consider the practice cutting coners - I know a few decent tech divers and they all overfill their tanks some extent - the DOT numbers aren't magic.

These tanks don't explode, at worst they fail hydro in 30 years instead of 40.

You are probably a much more educated diver than I am and appear more experienced. I guess we are talking apples and oranges. The reason I put up the post was for those people who are more of my level of experience, the weekend warrior Lobster chaser. If my tanks fail hydro in 30 years that will be a huge problem as I doubt I will be allowed to leave the retirement home to buy new ones. :22: Thank you for posting the info, maybe I'll find a link to the other side of this coin and post it later.

It's not the steel tank that have been repainted-it's the aluminium tanks that have been repainted and heat cured.

Steel tanks are heat treated @ over 1000F, aluminium tanks use a low temp powder coating (under 300F) if you heat a tank up beyond its heat treat temperature you anneal it (soften the metal).

I have talked with hydro facilities that have told me that minor over-pressurization (300 psi) of E cylinders will cause them to fail hydro.

Just because you're getting away with it does not mean it's safe!

It is illeagel for any commecial operation to overfill a cylinder beyond its rate pressure.

As much as I hate to say it, if its your cylinder and compressor, you can do anything you want. It's just the poor SOB at the fill station that risks his life and limb to fill an abused cylinder.

ScubaNorth:
I look at it this way anyone who would over fill a tank will cut other corners as well and that is a a problem. Ask any tech diver you admire if they cut corners and I'll bet they do not.
Ask them if they cut corners, and you'll get the answer you're expecting. Then ask the same divers if they overfill their LP steel tanks... you might be suprised.

I don't think one thing necessarily has anything to do with the other.

MSilvia:
Ask them if they cut corners, and you'll get the answer you're expecting. Then ask the same divers if they overfill their LP steel tanks... you might be suprised.

I don't think one thing necessarily has anything to do with the other.

You're most likely right about that, it was a bad way of putting it. I think it is better to put it this way; any LDS that is willing to bend the rule in one area might do so in another area and I hope it's not when they are wroking on my equipment. Funny thing is I think that a lot of people picture a "Die Hard" type explosion of one of these tanks and that it highly unlikely. You would actaully have to work really hard to make one of these blow. The reason most of us know of the recent FL explosion is because of it being so unusual. It is more likely that any problem would be more of a wimper than a bang. It's the end result that may be the same, endangering a divers life or health. Like my Dear Ole Dad always said just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right.

ScubaNorth:
Funny thing is I think that a lot of people picture a "Die Hard" type explosion of one of these tanks and that it highly unlikely. You would actaully have to work really hard to make one of these blow. The reason most of us know of the recent FL explosion is because of it being so unusual.

Have you seen some pictures from a SCUBA tank failing?!!?!?! No doubt about it.... it is a bomb!!!!

It is a "Die Hard" explosion when they fail. True tanks failing are rare- due to better tank inspections techniques and technology. But they can... and DO happen.

http://www.napsd.com/cscuba.htm

Check out the pictures towards the bottom of this link..... Wimper my ***...

Dive Angry

Actually, I believe this staement is not totally correct either. Where is the Oxygen Hacker when you need the real truth? There are a few posts out there that explain this better than I can. It's not quite as cut and dry as most people have been led to believe.

This is the post I was looking for:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=993163&postcount=64

Leadking:
It is illeagel for any commecial operation to overfill a cylinder beyond its rate pressure.

Back
Top Bottom