Tank Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonnie&Clyde

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving.... I just puchased 2 Steel tanks.. Did I make a good decision or should I have gotten aluminum ones??? Im just worried the sales man wanted me to spend more money...

Thanks

That is not a simple question!!!!

What kind of diving are you planning on doing now, and in the future?

There's definitely a lot more to it than good and bad and really it could be either depending on the deal and your needs. What sort of diving do you plan to do and what sort of equipment do you use? Also important, what size tanks did you end up with and what was the general price you paid on them?

Welcome to the board.
Certainly nothing wrong with steel tanks and often times they are the better choice. Like Lee said, it mainly depends on your diving and needs.

Thanks for the responses... I plan to do regular recreational diving, lobstering and spearing. Mostly arounds the wrecks/reefs up to 70ish feet. I paid $309 for each tank(100).

Whats the real advantage of Steel?

Less weight on the belt, Steel tanks last a WHOLE lot longer. Many places will not hydro aluminum tanks older than 15 years. I've got steels that were born in 1955 and 57 respectively. No problem hydroing them. Better buoyancy characteristics as well which goes along with the less weight statement. I'm just curious why you chose the tanks you did without knowing the advantages(many) and disadvantages(initial cost- in the long run they are much cheaper overall due to their lifespan if properly cared for). These things should have been covered in your basic open water class. If they were not then you got ripped on your class.

i see the steel as a better choice over al tanks.
1) the steel 100 requires you to carry less lead, about 5#s less than an al80.
2) More gas vs a std al80, 100 cu ft vs 74 cu ft. (more gas equals more down time)
3) My steel 100's trim out much nicer than my al 80's.
4) In most cases the steel tank comes with a pro valve. Can be yoke or Din.

Jim Breslin

Thank u fellas!!!! The instructor recommended me the steel i just wanted to get a biased answer.

Finally fishing and diving!!!!!!

You wanted a biased answer, well, I am biased because I dive steel cylinders and only use AL ones for pony/stage bottles. I think you did well.

Seriously, there's only a couple instances where a steel cylinder might not work for you. Well, be optimum anyhow. Double steel cylinders with a wetsuit for example doesn't work for me and AL would then. Other than that, I use steel all the time. I've got 100's and 120's and I'm happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom