Tank Marker Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The UK light with 2 AA batteries are great. They last forever and are easy to see underwater.

Scott

The Princeton Tec lights are great. The ones with the little "watch batteries" are good...but the batteries are hard to find in some places (ie. Guam).

One thing I have heard around here is that the bigger fish (dog-tooth tuna, for one) are attracted to tank lights, and while they don't hurt you..they do have a tendency to bang into the back of your head, which could be a very unpleasant experience. Never happened to me, but I do know some people that it has happened to. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I use the little Princeton Tec as a tank light. The one that I have has a neat little adaptor that uses a diode. The package claims to give 50 hrs on 2 AAA batteries.

Another thing......my LDS stocks these lights, and so does my camping store. The camping store is half the price however. (Normally, I'd spent the extra at the LDS but not $40 for a $20 light - Canadian prices)

I carry a couple of chem lights in my SAD kit, but I would rather not use them. The chemicals inside aren't exactly environmentally friendly.

I have seen those battery operated "chem" sticks; I think that those are fantastic. I use a strobe light most of the time, much to the disgust of some of the divers here, so it seems. My regular buddy really enjoys knowing where I'm at on night dives. I have considered getting a Lazer light as well, haven't done so as I don't do too many night dives due to my latitude (there are no octopus in MN). I know many operators require them for night dives, some have outlawed chem sticks due to the trash factor.

tholt576,

How bright is that electric light stick? Compared to a chem stick or a AA standard light?

Watergal -

Those yoke screw lights also come in a non-strobe version. My wife has one. So far, no problems with it. But don't forget the o-ring. It's kind of handy not to have to mess with any more gear than you have to. I still use a flasher, so my students know where (and who) I am. :boom:

Originally posted by detroit diver
tholt576,

How bright is that electric light stick? Compared to a chem stick or a AA standard light?

I'd say they are brighter than a chem stick. It may put off the same amount of light but it's more concentrated. (ie. it comes from a point instead of from the whole stick.) I don't know what kind of standard light you mean, but I'd say that if you've used the chemical kind, you'll be pleased with one of these.

:)

Try a disco ball wrapped in Saran Wrap

I don't know who makes mine :( but it's a velcro strip that wraps around your tank. On it are three small round lights, flat on the bottom and round on the top, about the size of a 50¢ piece, that you just twist on. (Made by the company that makes the yoke lights...same light). They run on watch batteries. Mine has two constant and one flashing light, but you can get different configurations. What I like most about it is it sits around your tank so it doesn't draw those worms around your head. It's bright enough to see but not distracting. I only use the flashing one when I have students who need to keep me in sight. They come in red, white and yellow. I saw one recently for about $18-20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom