Tank reconditioning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a bunch of steel tanks that need some love. Anyone know of a service in NJ that will strip and paint steel tanks? ( I can do it but I'd rater spend the time on other things) Doesnt even have to be the whole tank, really just the bottoms need to get done.

I have a bunch of steel tanks that need some love. Anyone know of a service in NJ that will strip and paint steel tanks? ( I can do it but I'd rater spend the time on other things) Doesnt even have to be the whole tank, really just the bottoms need to get done.
A lot of hydro facilities will do that if you take the tanks directly to them and avoid the LDS middleman. Around here, WA, I think it's an extra $10-15 for strip and paint.

Are they spray galvanized Fabers? something hot dipped but then painted too? or older completely ungalvanized tanks?
I'd go directly to a full service hydro place servicing industrial cylinders - but also would talk to them about exactly what you want done and why. Most everyone will blast them (not use a chemical stripper) and you could end up with all the sprayed on zinc removed...

Where are you in Jersey?

@tridacna any recommendations?

Approved Fire Protection Co.
114 St Nicholas Ave
South Plainfield, NJ 07080
Phone: 908-755-2222
$45 for a hydro and no recon. Thanks for the lead though.

In Baltimore, so maybe too far?

I got 17 tanks hydro'd here a few months ago. He knew all about the pre-stretch needed on galvanized and offered O2 cleaning. I did not ask about strip / paint, but he deserves a call. Was $15 or $17 / tank for hydro, I think another $5 / tank for O2 clean.

Little bit of a drive for you though? He had them done by the next day.

He was great to deal with and is on the board @BMS_Erik

Wow! That’s gone up 100% since I last used them pre-Covid.

Back
Top Bottom