tank size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all. I'm looking at putting a together a set of steel doubles and was wondering what size tank most people get. I'm looking to be versitile here for tech, cave, and recreational dives. I'm looking mainly at the LP 95s or 105ish (i've seen 104, 105 and 108 in this range). Thanks.

A

There are tons of variables when it comes to doubles,,,,and everyone will have diff. ideas and persl. picks. For me I use steel lp+ 85's. A great combo for a 'non' cave diver like me. I have dove several other configurations of tanks but these are well balanced, and very popular among rec to tec. Having said all that....lp 108's are very nice.

Ive used 95s, 104s, 108s, and 120s. The 108s are hard to beat. The 95s are nice as well, but for the tiny increase in weight, I find the 108s more to my liking.

AaronR103:
Hey all. I'm looking at putting a together a set of steel doubles and was wondering what size tank most people get. I'm looking to be versitile here for tech, cave, and recreational dives. I'm looking mainly at the LP 95s or 105ish (i've seen 104, 105 and 108 in this range).
There's not really any universal "best" tank that will cover you for all types of diving. Most people tend to specialize, and choose the tanks that best support their particular interests.

For cave diving, the clear choice is the "old school" Pressed Steel LP-104s (now sold as E8-130s). These are just about the perfect combination of size, capacity, and buoyancy for cave diving.

They are a little unwieldy for boat diving however, so most folks prefer smaller tanks for that. This works well because the bottom times are typically not as long on open ocean dives as they are in caves.

For ocean diving, the choice seems to be either AL80s or lightweight LP-95s, such as those marketed by Faber and OMS. The final choice is dictated by how much gas you need for the dive, whether you are diving wet or dry, etc. I think LP-85s and LP-108s might be a good choice for this as well, assuming you are diving dry.

So the answer to your question lies in what type of dives you see yourself doing in the immediate future. Most people purchase their first doubles for ocean rec/tech (i.e. deeper dives that are mostly still within the NDL), which makes the AL80 an obvious good first choice. when you get a drysuit and purchase larger steel doubles, then the AL80s can broken down and made into stages, so there is no need to repurchase or discard anything.

Without any more info than what you've given on your interests, then I'm inclined to recommend AL80s. If you can give us more specifics, then we might be able to offer other (or different) options.

DIR-Atlanta:
T Most people purchase their first doubles for ocean rec/tech (i.e. deeper dives that are mostly still within the NDL), which makes the AL80 an obvious good first choice. when you get a drysuit and purchase larger steel doubles, then the AL80s can broken down and made into stages, so there is no need to repurchase or discard anything.

Yes this is how many of us started........ and is still sound advise today.

Just be aware that once you start down this path....... you are sucked into the habbit of 'collecting tanks' and start thinking of ways to maximize BT, while saving money.... hence you start breaking and building sets.... its a downward spiral from there....:crafty:

Except for the possible purchase of new bands. It's kind of hard to stretch those from 7.25" to 8" :wink: At least bands aren't really that expensive.

DIR-Atlanta:
which makes the AL80 an obvious good first choice. when you get a drysuit and purchase larger steel doubles, then the AL80s can broken down and made into stages, so there is no need to repurchase or discard anything.

I'm in the same position as you, just starting in tech. My decision was based on my size and the lenght/weight that would fit me without making me shorter every time I strapped them on. I chose the lighter weight, shorter and less bouyant e7-100's. just made sense for me. It's personal preference that should be your guide. Use what fits your physical profile and diving needs.

I just got a set of 2 singles - E-7 100s. I have dove with them about 5 times like them a lot. Similar in weight to a AL80 but with the negative buoyancy of steel.

smb1014:
I just got a set of 2 singles - E-7 100s. I have dove with them about 5 times like them a lot. Similar in weight to a AL80 but with the negative buoyancy of steel.
I assume that you are using these with a drysuit? If not, then be please be extra careful about that "negative buoyancy".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom