Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can always find someone to over fill an LP tank, many times unknowingly as they treat it like another al 80 and fill to 3200 and cool to 3k.

This depends almost entirely on where you live. No shop I've been to in the Vancouver area will overfill my LP95s. I've never asked for a significant overfill, but it's often a chore just to get them filled to 2640. There have been places that won't fill them any fuller than 2400 and I only get 86 cu ft in them. Not to mention, according to my LDS, hydro inspection places in my province just don't plus rate tanks at all. Which I really wish they had told me before they hydro'd my tanks.

Anyway, it's really ironic, because using LP tanks is supposed to help you avoid short fills, but now I'm always worried that's what I'll get in them. Only had a short fill in my HP tanks once, from a shop I don't usually visit.

This depends almost entirely on where you live. No shop I've been to in the Vancouver area will overfill my LP95s. I've never asked for a significant overfill, but it's often a chore just to get them filled to 2640. There have been places that won't fill them any fuller than 2400 and I only get 86 cu ft in them. Not to mention, according to my LDS, hydro inspection places in my province just don't plus rate tanks at all. Which I really wish they had told me before they hydro'd my tanks.

Anyway, it's really ironic, because using LP tanks is supposed to help you avoid short fills, but now I'm always worried that's what I'll get in them. Only had a short fill in my HP tanks once, from a shop I don't usually visit.

Unless your LP tanks are old they should have a TC (Transport Canada) marking on them something like TC 3AAM184. The 184 is the pressure rating in BAR and is equivalent to 2668 PSI. Just tell them to fill to the TC rating. +Ratings in Canada are not necessary because they apply to the DOT rating not the TC rating. You may need to educate your LDS which might be a bit of a challenge. If you take your tanks to the USA you will be limited by the DOT rating.

Edit:
If your tanks are marked CTC which would mean they are almost 20 years old or more they will have the rating in PSI. I don't know how the Plus rating applies to them and could not find any information on the TC website.

Last edited:
They have neither TC nor CTC but they were made in '85 so from what I've heard they are grandfathered in according to their DOT rating.

The last time I had them in the shop, an employee went so far as to write "2400" in permanent marker on them. Thanks guy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom