Tanzania Diving - an insider view (thoughts?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a woman. Not that I usually let that stop me. Just don't want any trouble. No acid in the face or even lesser problems, so would prefer to be in a group. Was supposed to be organizing a safari and dive with some others but they had some medical issues crop up. So maybe in a couple of years. I just didn't want to wait if it could be worked out.

Last edited:
Chilly - I dont suppose you would be free in March 2014 at all? I have found a Nairobi to Zanz overland safari that gives you the option of ending or extending your stay in Zanzibar or Pemba. The shortest option was a week overland through Ngorongoro crater, Serengeti safari in tented camps ending with a weekend in Zanzibar for quite a reasonable price. Because it could be extended to give me more time on Zanzibar and also get back to Nairobi and because im a single female (you know where im coming from im sure!) it did sound like an easier option than booking a 4wd and trying to change tyres in Africa. The tour has suggested activities for Zanz listed as scuba diving and a link to Pemba and some great videos so its obviously a popular and economical way of combining diving and overland. Must say it seems to be an option id look at.

Sigh. The answer is maybe, unfortunately can't commit right now because of my upcoming trip to SE Asia. This trip might be a budget buster but even if it isn't, might still have to work for a living for a bit befire I can take off again. Probably will be too late to start to make arrangements for the Zanzibar trip in February?

I have a dive trip planned to Zanzibar for my partner and I coming up in February. Gonna be landing in Dar Es Salaam and spending the first day there then taking a puddle jumper flight over to ZNZ the next day. Spending the first night on Zanzibar in Mbweni, then going over to Chumbe Island for the second night. After that going to head up to Nungwi Village for the last 5 nights before leaving. Should be a fun little trip though I don't really have anything planned other than the flights and accommodations. Anyone have any recommendations on who to dive with while there I was looking at East Africa Divers EADC 2013 -- diving in Zanzibar for while we're up in Nungwi but haven't booked anything with them yet. Also does any recommendations on what to do while in Dar the first day?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Is it possible to have a bit of a backpacker-diving trip there? Is there any travellers-scene in place like Mafia Island or is it all just package deal hotels a pretty steep prices? I have 4 weeks from 15/01-to-15/02 in 2014 & I have never been to Africa for diving. As I would be travelling by myself & having my 34 bday there, I also want to have a good time outside of the water & not just sit in a hotel or on a beach by myself. What's all this like in Zanzibar?
Thanks upfront for sharing your tips!

Yes, I agree. I dived for two weeks in Mafia Island in November last year with Mafia Island Diving. Please see a montage of the video clips I made below.

[video=youtube_share;fhPMqduMTsg]http://youtu.be/fhPMqduMTsg[/video]

Apologies for my heavy breathing in advance.

Cheers, Paul

heres a very short clip of turtles hatching and a whale shark off mnemba island. I would go back in a heartbeat. The whole area of Tanzania/Zanzibar sea and land is truly awesome.

[video=youtube_share;VuJqx_pg3yw]http://youtu.be/VuJqx_pg3yw[/video]

Thumbs up for diving east africa. I've been to Mozambique and Tanzania and thoroughly enjoyed both. A safari in Selous national park followed by a weeks diving off Pemba Island (Tanzania- theres a Pemba in Mozambique as well) makes for a great holiday. Part of me doesn't want anyone to know how good the diving is there because when I was in Pemba I had the luxury of been the only diver at the dive centre(Kervan saray beach lodge- swahilli divers) and we had a great week diving the sites on our own and even went searching for new sites. I've also dove my way down the coast of Mozambique, very special, almost guranteed whale sharks at Tofu is worth the trip alone.

If anyone is interested in organizing a joint safari/diving trip I am happy to help. Zanzibar is safe, easy to get around and has world-class diving 10 minutes from shore. While the infrastructure for tec still needs to be developed there is an amazing wall starting at 38m here on the East Coast. Jacks, tuna, massive sting rays, cobia and the rare shark. We have seen dolphins four times at the surface this week, once underwater and a few turtles.

Back
Top Bottom