TDI or PADI .. NITROX Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I signed up for a Nitrox class at my LDS and they gave us TDI (Understanding Nitrox) manuals to study before the class. They are a 5 star PADI center so I assume they also offer PADI Nitrox classes.
Why would they go the TDI route? Is there a downside to carrying around a Nitrox cert from TDI? I see very little mention of it on these boards and in fact on a search for TDI it comes up 'EMPTY' :confused:
Maybe they can get a TDI instructor but not a PADI intructor in the timeframe?
I'll ask the shop as well, but just wanted the opinion of the board.
Thanks,

There is no downside, just a different certification agency.

TDI covers more math and theory behind Nitrox than PADI. When I run my Nitrox classes, I issue both PADI and TDI certifications as my material covers both.

As a PADI 5-Star, they are required to only teach classes PADI offers. So offerring a TDI Nitrox course when PADI already has one is a no-no.

There is no downside to holding the TDI card. It is an advantage if you wanted to take TDI's Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures class. Many of the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures instructors I know will accept PADI's Nitrox card, with a little extra lecture to cover the gaps.

i like the TDI materials better

TDI is a widely recognized agency known for tech dive training

ppo2_diver:
TDI covers more math and theory behind Nitrox than PADI. When I run my Nitrox classes, I issue both PADI and TDI certifications as my material covers both.

There is no downside to holding the TDI card. It is an advantage if you wanted to take TDI's Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures class. Many of the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures instructors I know will accept PADI's Nitrox card, with a little extra lecture to cover the gaps.
Thanks, Sounds like a TDI cert will be recognized wherever I go. That was my concern, getting to PNG or Catalina (for example) and finding out that I needed to take another Nitrox class.

ppo2_diver:
As a PADI 5-Star, they are required to only teach classes PADI offers. So offerring a TDI Nitrox course when PADI already has one is a no-no.

So PADI's trying to take over the world are they :) I will be discreet.:wink:

ppo2_diver:
As a PADI 5-Star, they are required to only teach classes PADI offers.

Really?

Wow. That's pretty ridiculous.

frank_delargy:
I see very little mention of it on these boards and in fact on a search for TDI it comes up 'EMPTY' :confused:
Scubaboard's search engine doesn't like three letter queries.

As for nothing coming up on the query, run your query using TDI*. It will pull up a bunch. The search engine wants 4 characters

ppo2_diver:

Are you sure about that? I've seen a number of PADI 5-Star's that offer TDI courses, especially the nitrox classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom