Teach me about SMB's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah the AP valves are a Great Britain thing. They are HUGE. Not easy to store by our standards. Plus some argue that if the cylinder is inadvertently turned on while the maker is stored, the diver can go for an unintentional ride to the surface. I looked into them, because getting a full marker up from depth is such a challenge.

Carter makes 20# fish buoys that are fired with a CO2 cartridge. But I am dialed in with my big Halcyon bags, and there I'll stay.

Getting a 5-6' SMB (usually around 50# lift) even remotely full from "a safety stop" (which I'm assuming here means ~15') isn't remotely reasonable. You simply can't get in enough gas while holding these down if you expect them to be full. A limp big marker (usually lying flat at the surface) isn't going to be nearly as visible as even a small 3' (6# lift) marker standing proud and fully erect (which is trivial to shoot from even the shallowest water).

Big markers certainly have their place, but they are usually best (1) shot deep (at least 70' IMO, so you can count on 3x expansion) or (2) just inflated at the surface. Trying to get them to stand taller than a small marker from very shallow is just asking for frustration (and likely failure).

I almost always bring a 3.3' SMB (Halcyon) and for dives further from shore or in bigger swell, I'll take a 5' (TDL) marker as well. Both have served me well.

Thanks for the great info guys! Sounds like for the most part I want something around 4-6ft in height, a good amount of girth and that can be deployed from a safety stop using a reg. That gives me a much better place to start looking.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting one, has a mini cylinder you top off from your main tank. Than when you want to deploy, you unroll it, attach to your reel and crack the cylinder open to take it up. Also has the sealed bottom so it doesn't lose all the air on the surface. One cool thing with this one is that it's the same to launch whether at 10 ft or 70 ft----with some of the bigger ones, launching at shallow depths is trickier because you have to fill it more due to the lower expansion.

A.P.Valves

That's really cool... But ouch, no US dealers. And the exchange rate puts it at around $170 shipped. :(

Rainer,

I haven't seen to many that are shorter than 48"/4ft. Am I not looking in the right places/brands?

Getting a 4-6' SMB (usually around 50# lift) even remotely full from "a safety stop" (which I'm assuming here means ~15') isn't remotely reasonable. You simply can't get in enough gas while holding these down if you expect them to be full. ............

Roger that, look for one with an oral inflation valve. XS Scuba Surface Marker Buoy

Thanks, spitlip, those are interesting factors for deciding which SMB to use, and none of them have really pertained in places I have dived up until now.

Yup. It is a little different here. The current (Gulf Stream runs closer to shore here than anywhere else) gives us the gin clear water and wild life, but creates other challenges. Go into any dive shop, and they have the monster DSMB's and reels hanging on the walls.

My LDS is a GUE shop. So I have access to to all the Halcyon markers, and they are what I prefer. I have not done Fundies yet, so I don't think my deployment is DIR, but I get it done. :D

One more vid from the same dive. I've been criticized already for being vertical. LOL But it can be challenging to get enough gas in so that the marker will be full at the surface.

JDC027.flv video by mm2002_bucket - Photobucket

And I was struck by a boat once. :shocked2: I really hate that.

Getting a 5-6' SMB (usually around 50# lift) even remotely full from "a safety stop" (which I'm assuming here means ~15') isn't remotely reasonable. You simply can't get in enough gas while holding these down if you expect them to be full. A limp big marker (usually lying flat at the surface) isn't going to be nearly as visible as even a small 3' (6# lift) marker standing proud and fully erect (which is trivial to shoot from even the shallowest water).

Big markers certainly have their place, but they are usually best (1) shot deep (at least 70' IMO, so you can count on 3x expansion) or (2) just inflated at the surface. Trying to get them to stand taller than a small marker from very shallow is just asking for frustration (and likely failure).

I almost always bring a 3.3' SMB (Halcyon) and for dives further from shore or in bigger swell, I'll take a 5' (TDL) marker as well. Both have served me well.

I hate to agree with Rainer. No, I mean I really hate to agree with him, but you're not going to fully inflate a 40 or 50 pound marker from safety stop depth. Think about. Even at 33 ft, you'd have to move and control 20 to 25 # into the bag while maintaining reasonably neutral buoyancy.

You need to learn to shoot from depth (where I dive) or inflate at the surface if you use a large marker.

..........My LDS is a GUE shop. So I have access to to all the Halcyon markers, and they are what I prefer............

Your Halcyon 6' with the SOLAS tape looks pretty much like my XSscuba SMB's. Same anti-dump feature, etc, etc. -no prob with either brand.

Back
Top Bottom