Teaching prisoners to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HoggieEater:
somebody's gotta say it and I know I'm not the only one thinking it, but.... my first thought was.... disposable commercial divers

I was thinking DCS experiments on Death Row type Prisoners.....Thought that would be controverisal though.

hey, they actually tried that...

on regular sailors, though. they had committed no crimes

can you believe it?

H2Andy:

can you believe it?

I beleive it.

The Prison Industry Authority’s commercial diving program at the California Institution for Men is being re-established to focus renewed efforts on reducing recidivism. Initially created in 1970, the training program was closed in 2003 because of budget constraints. The diving program has a renowned history of preparing inmates for employment after parole in such areas as underwater construction, dam repair, welding, and harbor diving.

I am all for it. And they will eventually pay back the state, and the govornment WOW! Its called Taxes....if they work then they pay taxes...if they don't work and end up back in jail because they aren't qualified to do anything then we end up paying more to feed them, house them, oh and pay their medical bills when bubba wants to fight. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

JcoldwaterIL:
so if i get convicted of a crime i can dive for free? And here iv'e been a law abiding sucker paying for it this whole time.

I take it then that you've never been inside a prison. You really want to go through years of THAT just to get a "free" commercial diving license?

FD

WesTexDiver:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Last thing they need to do is teach inmates to use a spear gun...

plot:
Last thing they need to do is teach inmates to use a spear gun...

:rofl3:

H2Andy:

can you believe it?
Atually, I'm told, they used Marines. The reason, according the the Principal Investigator was that eliminated the need to go before the human subjects committee. (True story, but I think the P.I. was pulling my leg)<G>

WesTexDiver:
I am all for it. And they will eventually pay back the state, and the govornment WOW! Its called Taxes....if they work then they pay taxes...if they don't work and end up back in jail because they aren't qualified to do anything then we end up paying more to feed them, house them, oh and pay their medical bills when bubba wants to fight. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Will he pay higher taxes in order to pay back his training? I doubt it very much.

Maybe Bubba should have spent time learning to fish before he decided to steal the fish that did not belong to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom