Tech 1 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just curious would those who have done the Tech 1 course aggree with this statement?

"I was faced with the same choice. I chose GUE based on what I could get out of the fewest number of classes.... Tech1 would give me the TDI 'equivalent' of Adv Nitrox (to 100%), Deco Procedures, Normoxic trimix, Gas blending. Turns out between Fundamentals and Tech1, they "gave" me a whole lot more than that. Needless to say, I'm now glad I made the choice I did."

This is an answer I received to a questions regarding GUE vs. TDI tech training. I would be interested to hear peoples in put an opinions in regards to GUE tech training vs. TDI

Thanks

Alex

Cheers

Alex

I've actually ended up doing both and would have to say I prefer the GUE route. I did learn a huge amount more from the GUE classes as they cover more ground and the level required is much tougher. This makes you a better and more competant diver.

For example - dive planning, using TDI approach it took me about 30 mins to plan a 51m (170 foot) dive. Using the GUE battlefield calculations it took me 2 minutes. Yet when you compare the results are very similiar. This sort of useful knowledge makes a lot of difference if you have to re-plan your dive with no notice.

I actually had done the Tech-1 course before the Normoxic trimix and the TDI instructor reckons we showed the level required to pass the advanced trimix course let alone the normoxic class.

My vote would definitely be on the GUE side.

HTH
Al

GUE has an excellent curriculum, pair that with VERY good instructors and a high standard bar, and you have the ingredients for long term success in terms of diving and comfort with it. Other agencies also deliver this sort of knowledge, lets be honest...... diving is diving. There are different schools of thought and most agencies build upon the same empirical foundations. It is all the same in itself. The way the dives are planned, calculated etc is different, the approach is different.

So saying one is better than the other is not for me, but it is for me what I feel most comfortable with.... to me that is GUE training (NOT the politics and HUGE egos of some).

Its like this...... buying/driving a FORD or an AUDI. Both are cars, both will get you from A to B. The approach to driving and the experience of it itself are different (and I mean to everyone).

I just did tech 1 last week and it is an excellent course they really push you to think while underwater, to resolve failures in the 3 man team.

The team work is cruical and the ratio deco is awesome we had to change the plan for a deco dive while on the boat as we had originally planned 2 dives, 5 minutes before reaching the site were told would have to make it 1 dive.

The instructor will concentrate on your weakness and try to fix it eg someone uncomfortable with no mask will be forced to hand it over and get used to it. It covers a lot of areas from deco to 3 man team to reel work and right and left post failures, different gases.
The main point i got from tech 1 is the team thing and how much better diving with everyone on the team knowing same hand signals simliar gear and positioning on the dive so just a simple light signal tells your buddies your ok or in trouble.

The instrauctors are just awesome plus always some video handy to show stuff ups

alexxred:
Hi,

Just curious would those who have done the Tech 1 course aggree with this statement?

"I was faced with the same choice. I chose GUE based on what I could get out of the fewest number of classes.... Tech1 would give me the TDI 'equivalent' of Adv Nitrox (to 100%), Deco Procedures, Normoxic trimix, Gas blending. Turns out between Fundamentals and Tech1, they "gave" me a whole lot more than that. Needless to say, I'm now glad I made the choice I did."

This is an answer I received to a questions regarding GUE vs. TDI tech training. I would be interested to hear peoples in put an opinions in regards to GUE tech training vs. TDI

Thanks

Alex

Cheers

Alex
I gave you that answer as the basis for the choice I made.

In the end, the training I received from GUE was far superior than what I've seen from TDI....

That GUE puts emphasis on the team and solving problems as a team while TDI tends to emphasize that a tech diver is on their own is another plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom