Tech diving, equipment, awareness and too much too soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good post.
Some divers might think they are advanced but the first time they have to operate wearing a hundred pounds of twin steel cylinders they really find out what their skill level is.

Great post Rick. And rather funny considering the first time we met! LOL!

Perrone lol and case in point. I forgot about that. But you are doing much better now aren't you!

For those who want a true case study of this, I was introduced to Rick the second day of my Adv. Nitrox course. That was my second dive in doubles! Small 72cuft steels. I nearly quit diving that day, and along comes Rick while I am sitting on the platform contemplating my future in diving, and he calls my doubles "training wheels"! I never forgot that, and I hated him right then!

Fortunately, I got EXACTLY what I asked for. I spent the next 3 months learning to dive doubles. And I have an instructor who was a tremendous help in helping me understand when I was ready to move forward.

So Rick's words hit home with me, because I was that diver. Fortunately, I knew better than to THINK I was a good enough diver to move forward. I asked to see where the bar was, I was shown, and I worked to get there.

Ironic that again, I would run into Rick again for my first stage cave dives! And though I was better, I was struggling trying to manage all the new stuff again!

Rick, we'll have to go diving one day. :)

You're on how about during the NACD seminar at Ginnie/ I'll bring the drysuit cuffs as well

Oh crap. I was thinking maybe in Mexico! :) I won't be able to come down that Friday. I'll only be there for Saturday.

I couldn't disagree more! There is nothing wrong with being short. Lots of important people have been short. Danny Davito, Hitler, Napoleon, Tom Cruise, Yoda. What's that? The post was about task loading and knowing your equipment and limits in training? Well then I whole heartedly agree. Great post! Thanks for writing it. A+, kudos and all that rot.
Joe

Another fantastic post Rick!

Perone you should have seen me the first day I hit the pool with Rick, it was in doubles AND a dry suit for the first time. I'm pretty sure Rick's side is still sore from all of the humor he had on the surface watching my airborne frog kick's!

I'm still honing those skills, it will be a long time (if ever) before I feel that I am where I should be!

Hey Perone come on down to Genie Springs on Sat!

It's ashame more instructors do not teach/require better skills.

Cheers

Very well written; message conveyed quite clearly ! Thanks for posting.

:wave-smil

PerroneFord:
Oh crap. I was thinking maybe in Mexico! :) I won't be able to come down that Friday. I'll only be there for Saturday.

I'll be at Ginnie this Saturday come on down. and the 18-19 Nov I have/start a cavern/intro class come and watch if you'd like. Now lets keep this on topic please

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom