Tech with Freediving Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, my questions are these: I would like to know if you use freediving fins when you're doing non-hard-overhead tech dives? Full-foot or open-heel? With wetsuit or drysuit? Lite tech or more serious tech? What kind of scuba rig, and carrying how many deco cylinders of what size? Any problems and/or any special considerations? Et cetera. Finally, do you favor a particular size fin (some of them are really long!), or brand, or material? Any stories?

I would have to imagine that aside from having a difficulty doing anti-silting kicks... the fins wouldn't get you the starting power that shorter stiffer (jet, rocket, slipstream) fins would get you.

When diving doubles and/or doubles with stage bottles...
You'd have "cartoon legs" like when your feet are spinning but you just don't go anywhere

I would have to imagine that aside from having a difficulty doing anti-silting kicks... the fins wouldn't get you the starting power that shorter stiffer (jet, rocket, slipstream) fins would get you.

When diving doubles and/or doubles with stage bottles...
You'd have "cartoon legs" like when your feet are spinning but you just don't go anywhere

You might think that...but I can assure you this is not the case with my DiveR fins. Even with doubles, the acceleration is dramatic. You have this enormous fin surface you "can" use for a big power kick, whenever you want it. The torque in start up with my diveR's is huge....you then begin to modify the shape of your "power kick" to the shape of a higher speed, non-accelerating efficient kick--the cruising pace. Different muscles in your legs are involved, and the power kick has a much bigger range of motion to utilize all that fin blade optimally.

Visit Palm Beach and see for yourself :D

I was under the impression too that you can 'jump' a shorter distance, let's say 10', quicker with a frog kick and something like a jet but that beyond this short burst you are going to loose against the more efficient flutter with the freediving fins.

We need a videotaped race!!!

Pick the tool for the environment you will be in. A fin is a tool.

From the early 1990s when tech diving took off you would find most every kind of fin being used. In the warm waters of the Carib, Florida, and SE Asia it was not uncommon to find divers adding the "technology" (gas) to existing diving set ups. Free diving fins are a commmon tool. In fact in the early 1990s we would have our support divers using free-diving fins in warm water as they were able to move large distances with ease and minimal effort.

Granted this type of fin is not appropriate in areas where you need precise momements in a tight space but in open ocean blue water environments they are nice. I have a large selection of them in my "Imelda Rack" Dussaults, Esclapez, Cressi, and even Mares fins in a variety of strengths and foot pockets, some with straps other closed heal.

A fin is a tool.

Cheers
JDS

Last edited:
Damn interesting discussion. So people are ready to concede that if you need to move somewhere and you are not penetrating silty overhead environments, the freedive fins are better? Unbelievable!! What next?

We get scuba divers to FINALLY understand that the freediver's rubber belt is superior to a nylon weight belt????? (which it is)..

In case anyone wants to experiment with the big freedive fins, you do need to modify the giant stride entry. The blades provide such a huge area, that the fin on the trailing leg can be ripped or damaged by the typical giant stride entry. I generally do a back roll entry, a head first entry off a platform (ala Frank Hammet), a butt first entry (the Neste Plunge), or if from a higher platform, then the feet should be together on entry so the blades are bent upward, which is less stressful on the foot pocket.

DD,
Glad I could entertain you :D

Just so you know, the clip is attached with an easy to break line....
I do have one of those ultra slick freedive suits, which I can go almost twice as fast wearing....but unfortunately, the water has been too cold for me to enjoy that trade off over the last few months ...

If you have to use a drysuit, the crappy heel strap issue is unfortunate, but there is no good way around it. As heel strap systems go, at least the riffe pocket is not that bad.

Yes those were my choice when I wanted to wear a heavy dive boot. I sold them a few years ago, because I just wasn't using them anymore.

On the first boat dive of the first day of the recent GUE fun dives in Florida I buddied up with Dan Volker. When he put on his 'Blue Monsters' I knew I was in trouble.

Dan: Single tank, drysuit, huge camera, DiveR fins, avid cyclist
Me: AL80 doubles, wetsuit, bare bone Hogarthian, SP Jets, occasional runner

To make a long story short. Halfway through the first dive I joined another team realizing that my gas consumption was not going to get me through the day while trying to keep up with Dan.

The deceptive thing about these fins is that the slow motion (and somewhat delayed acceleration) leads you to believe that the other diver is not intending to go anywhere fast. Before you know it, you are waaay behind and have to catch up.

PS: Thanks Dan for the great time in FL.
It was my pleasure diving with you guys...I did warn everyone I was shooting video, and would need to be moving around alot faster ( getting in front for an angle, then off to the reef for an angle, etc, etc) than anyone would want to pace at :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom