Techies

True or False: I work with computers.

• True: Computers is the grooviest.

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • False: Them adding machines are ruining a perfectly good world.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Uh, do you mean yourself when you say I, or do you mean Me as the pollee? (I mean you as the pollee

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being that almost 50% of the houses in the US have a computer and 85% of those use the internet I don't think this is bias to ask on the internet. I am a System/Web Admin. I took my AOW last month and we had 5 people in the class. 3 of them including me do computer support. On of the guys has been working with computers since the late 60's.

I personally don't feel that if you "works with computers" that makes you a techy, but if you support, program, design, or manage them then you may qualify. These days just building your own isn't all that difficult. Before the motherboards of today when you had to figure out 15 dip switches or jumpers just to set the processor speep, then there was memory jumpers and such. Now you pick the parts you want and stick them in the case. It is almost easier that hooking the cookie cutter PCs up.

Interesting question.
I'm an Engineering/Building Contractor so I don't qualify.
What's interesting is that I belong to 2 different gun clubs.
That have get togethers and such.
One is primarily an internet group.
During a camping trip with these guys I realized that out of 15 guys only two of us were what I would call blue coller just about all were either IT or Engineers in management positions.
My other gun club has nothing to do with the internet and out of a meeting of 65 people I'd wager to say that 4 or so were in the IT field and probably another 4 or so were engineers.
Just an observation.

I work with computers on a daily baisis but I would say that 99.99% of the people that use these boards are more computer literate than me I can work in C , unix and other low leval languages but ask me to use an excel spread sheet and I will dive for cover it is horses for courses. As for diving before you use a computer as an aid learn the physics behind it dont just follow the numbers stay aware stay alive.

Nah, "assembler" (BAL, Macro, PDP-11, etc.) is a low-level language. Everything else, regardless of whether is it a
good language or not, is high-level.

Good languages: ForTran

OK langauges: Pascal, COBOL, BASIC, PL/1, APL

"Bad" languages: MUMPS, DBL

Useless languages: VB

Pro-fessional construction cracker.IT is more hobby for me.I am surrounded by them diving tho from software writers,developers,spec writers,programmers to bench techs.My family is heavy into tech, father was a milatary cryptologist(thanx for the internet dad)mother was an accountant and speaks cobol,fortran etc for large corp mainframe.I studied electrical engineering and was going to specialize but hated it.Work in shorts,t-shirt and tennis shoes for grateful and generous clients.

I worked in the IT field for 2 years. I was not a diver at the time but I would definitely consider myself to be computer savy. A+ certified and am a Dell Certified Technician. It was a fun job and now I definitely do enjoy diving and I usually only service mine and my friends computers. Dive Safe and Dive Often

I've been doing system admin work on Sun servers for the last 5 years... My group maintains about 2000 servers or so at internal and client sites combined.

Met my dive buddy at a previous job doing GPS mapping (collecting street access information, etc.) for use in setting up 911 databases.

Went to school for a BS in Comp Sci.

I'm guessing that I'm prety much the guy your describing above. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom