Technical Cave Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not like you are leaving the light there forever. On "mishaps" you will retrieve the equipment on the next dive after everyone had a change of underwear :D

The reason I ask is that this is a new concept for me. I've always carried 3 lights in a cave. The 2 backups are part of a primary life-saving system for me, and would have a hard time leaving one behind. Not worried about losing it, just losing my 3rd backup for the dive. Had to use a backup more than once to get out, so know how important they are.

I would think that if "beacons" are to be a part of your dive program, that it would make sense to carry a 4th just for that purpose. Maybe even a small strobe, as that's what they are made for. Not against the idea, if you have the equipment.

Great report. I have to say that I would be hard pressed to leave one of my back up lights anywhere, even as a beacon. I wasn't aware anyone was teaching this.

We used the same procedure in my Intro class. Maybe it's specific to IANTD.

Leaving a light implies you can't find your buddy. Losing a buddy and your remaining two lights is unheard of if you have quality, well maintained equipment.

However, I wouldn't leave a light till I was sure I couldn't find my buddy and it was time to go.

Leaving a back up light on the line is a pretty common technique when you've completed the lost buddy drill and are exiting the cave. It may give your buddy that small chance of finding their way out after they've lost themselves...and for that purpose it's worth going down to one backup light and a primary imo.

Leaving a back up light on the line is a pretty common technique when you've completed the lost buddy drill and are exiting the cave. It may give your buddy that small chance of finding their way out after they've lost themselves...and for that purpose it's worth going down to one backup light and a primary imo.

Yup. Don't forget that your buddy is (should be) doing the same procedure you are. He should be covering his light looking for the glow of yours. If he's off the line, the glow of your left-behind backup might be what he needs to draw him back in contact with the line and ultimately to safety. If you're leaving a backup on the line, you're in decent shape to at least make it out of the cave with two remaining lights AND the line in your hand. Any single one of these should be enough to make home.

What AJ said.

If I'm on the line, and my buddy is lost, and I've been unable to find him . . . no way I would begrudge the loss of a backup light, if it meant he might survive the experience. Especially since him being lost is a HUGE failure on my part.

I don't think leaving a light for a lost diver within the cave environment is totally new technique. Cave lights as mentioned must be of high quality and tested before each dive. Thus leaving a light for a lost buddy will not compromise your dive once you need to turn and exit. Even if did loose both remaining lights you still have a line to guide you out. Your buddy "might" not have anything!!

The main goal here is to put the lost buddy in the best possible position to get out. I will even leave safety/gap reel "installed" after doing my search. This will give the lost buddy more options and give the search team visual reference where you have already searched.

I am curious. Have any of you ever had to leave a cave for real without your buddy?

I put this question out on Cave Diver's Forum. There is no agreement, so far, as to whether this is or is not a standard in the cave diving community. It appears that some instructors teach it and most don't. Apparently (and I'm just going by other posts from instructors) there isn't a cert agency that has this in their course outline. Personally, it's got me thinking. Thanks for mentioning it.

---------- Post added ----------

Here is a good video, with leaving the lost diver at the very end.

Lost Diver - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom