Technical Cave Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put this question out on Cave Diver's Forum. There is no agreement, so far, as to whether this is or is not a standard in the cave diving community. It appears that some instructors teach it and most don't. Apparently (and I'm just going by other posts from instructors) there isn't a cert agency that has this in their course outline. Personally, it's got me thinking. Thanks for mentioning it.

---------- Post added ----------

Here is a good video, with leaving the lost diver at the very end.

Lost Diver - YouTube

Yes, NSS-CDS does, So does NACD. It is in both the student workbooks too. I teach it & a lot of other instructors I know do too.

I was just referring to leaving the cave without your buddy only… there is no mention of leaving light

1) Stop forward motion and orient to exit
2) Preform a shielded light search, for the missing diver, don’t turn off your light as it may not come back on
3) Perform a light search- look for signs bubbles silt trail. Look up down side to side (don’t leave the line)
4) Re-evaluate gas reserve. The proper gas management calculation will provide a reserve to use during search. A recommended 1/3 of reserve could be used for the search.
5) Use line arrows oriented to exit to anchor a safety reel and begin an effective search pattern
6) Since your team member may have exited the cave already , do not over stay your search time
7) Exit the cave, confirm on surface the absence of your team member and report the diver missing.

Last edited:
Sorry. I based my reply on several instructors on CDF. One said this:

"NSS-CDS, NACD, IANTD, DSAT, TDI, NASE do not have this procedure in place."

---------- Post added ----------

After rereading my last post I didn't want you to misunderstand: I meant, "Sorry for any confusion I may be causing, as I really don't know one way or the other."

BTW, the CDF thread is "Line Beacons," if you would like to take a look at it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom