Technical Diving - deco planning, trimix planning and general tech dive planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... the computer doesn't "send" you anywhere ...

You're right, I clearly misspoke. I was merely making the observation that recreational computers didn't spell out the decompression obligations in the same way that a SWP would (by only telling you what the next stop was vs. what your schedule was).

I should have said, "Some recreational dive computers will assume that you accidentally exceeded your NDL and will ask you to stop at some depth (10-20 ft) fora few minutes of decompression obligation before continuing to the surface".

Funny ... I used those exact same words to describe the one I had ... how can someone build a trimix computer that penalizes you heavily for using helium?

It's what happens when you put all your faith in Bühlmann, who apparently considered it the Devil's gas.

It's what happens when you put all your faith in Bühlmann, who apparently considered it the Devil's gas.
I used computers with a variation of Bühlmann on it along side a team mate with a Nitek HE and I have concluded it is specfic to that computer more than the basic Bühlmann assumptions.

Computers vary in many subtle ways. I had one that did fine with other team computers, unless we did a third deco dive in a day - then it apparently had some slower compartments that kicked in and made it exteremly conservative.

Generally speaking, I do the dive/deco planning with DPlan, GAP or more recently iDeco on my iPhone, and use the custom table on a slate or wet note page along with lost gas contingency plans. I have at times also used the plan feature on my Shearwater.

Regardless of how it gets developed, once developed I basically dive the plan, but also monitor the computer. The computer makes nice back up and also potentially provides a much quicker exit in the event you curtail the dive prior to reaching your planned run time.

In the real world, which is primary and which is back up becomes a little blurred once the dive starts, but the important point is to ensure you do sufficient gas planning and contingency planning rather than just diving to thirds for gas planning and riding the computer and assuming it will all work out.

----

Something I have noted when using different softwars applications is that even if they use the same algorythm and conservatism facotrs or bradient factors, two applications can create what appear to be different profiles, but the differences are often related to some underlying assumptions about gas switch times, etc with the result some will show a stop another will not - but accounts for in the schedule. In the water, the difference is one will result in a profile where the deeper stops clear before I get to them and where the other has sahllower stops - but they are real stops I actually reach before the computer clears or the run time is reached. In short, people get too concerned with differences of a minute or two here and there and forget it is all theory, not a dyed in the wool fact.

I used computers with a variation of Bühlmann on it along side a team mate with a Nitek HE and I have concluded it is specfic to that computer more than the basic Bühlmann assumptions.
Hugh? Even decoplanner which can run vpn and buhl side by side can show a helium penalty.

Hugh? Even decoplanner which can run vpn and buhl side by side can show a helium penalty.
VPN?

The Nitek HE is generally regarded as being very conservative compared to most of the other trimix computers it meets. You can attribute that to what ever makes you feel good.

VPN?

The Nitek HE is generally regarded as being very conservative compared to most of the other trimix computers it meets. You can attribute that to what ever makes you feel good.

Have to agree ... I bent mine on every single tech dive I took it on ... either because my dive buddies were threatening to leave me there, or because I was getting sleepy and hungry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom