Technique for getting the ABS buckle off a Mares fin?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chipstix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

Is there a tip or technique to getting the ABS buckle off from a Mares fin (mine are Plana Avanti Quattros)? I.e. is there a knack to it? (Is that a global phrase?!)

I tried for a while last night, but couldn't get them and didn't want to force it too much for fear that I might break off the moulded 'mushroom' that they attach on to.....

Thanks, C.

It's very easy. Make sure they are "unlocked". Then completely open the buckle (lift up on the gray portion of the buckle) then just push the portion that is over the "mushroom cap" forward and they should pop off.

It's MUCH easier to do it then to describe it. I can take some photos tomorrow if you still need them.

Just remember, once you lift up on the gray part of the buckle, you can further undo the buckle until it is completely open.

You really can't break the mushroom without tools :)

Thanks Chewie,

I'll try again this evening. I did have the buckle fully open but maybe I wasn't being tough enough. I also wasn't sure if it was supposed to be rotated before releasing- but I see from your advice that you just push forward (i.e. towards the tip of the fin).

Reassuring to know that the mushroom fitting is tough (I got to thinking how much of a complete pain in the a$$ is would be if it snapped off!

Will let you know if I succeed!

(By the way I'm taking it off to make some measurements with the intention of fitting some spring straps. There's a brand in the UK (maybe its worldwide?) called Beaver and apparently their spring straps fit really nicely onto Avanti Quattros)....

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chewie,

Was gonna send you a quick note today - yep I managed to get them off last night but they were ridiclously stiff (a bit like the darn ABS buckles themselves!)

I think the dents in my palms are just about gone now!

Certainly looking forward to the springs. I am going for Beaver Mares style following an article I read recommending them as a good fit for the Avanti Quattros.

Just need to recheck my measurements before I make the order. I measured 34cm (13.3inches) from the centre of each 'mushroom' round the back of my ankle (with the tape measure in a sensible position). The sellers advice is:

Lengths - Standard Fitting Type

Extra Large
15.00 inches
38 cm

Large
14.00 inches
35 cm

Medium
13.00 inches
33 cm

Small
12.00 inches
30.5 cm

How to work out your size

Take off the fin straps from your fins.

You need to have your boots on and pushed into your fin pocket as far as you can.

Measure from the centre of the button or mushroom (shackle if using Jetfins style) round the heel to the centre of the other button, keep the tape measure or string tight. Use the picture on the right as a guide to where to measure on the heel.

The measurement you now have is the measurement needed when the springs are extended. You will need to take off approx 1.5 - 2 inches from that measurement to establish the size you need from the chart above.

Don't be tempted to go for very very very tight, as this can cause cramping.

We will always be happy to exchange your straps for a different size if you find they don't fit quite how you wanted. So don't worry !

Not sure whether to go for medium or small. (At least I can change them anyway but won;t be able to try them underwater until after the return period has elapsed)

Chris

I've got Springs for my wetsuit boots and another larger set for my Drysuit/Rockboots.

For what it's worth I really like the ones (Innovative EZ or something to that effect) I got off leisurepro.

Back
Top Bottom