Temperature in caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just curious, is the temperature of the water inside a cave different from outside. I wasnt sure since there isnt any light inside if it would be a lot colder.

gerardnealon:
I was just curious, is the temperature of the water inside a cave different from outside. I wasnt sure since there isnt any light inside if it would be a lot colder.

They all run between 69 and 72 all the time, regardless of the temp outside. The only variance may by if the system is flooding.

Missouri caves run around 58 degrees. The mean internal temperature of the cave determines the water temp. Others can probably put this into the "correct" term when using statistical terms. All I can add is the surrounding earth acts like a big heat sink. Beyond the entrance, fluctuations are not very great.

mavjax:
They all run between 69 and 72 all the time, regardless of the temp outside. The only variance may by if the system is flooding.

mavjax:

You mean every cave in the world? So it is safe to assume most caves are warmer inside than out?

gerardnealon:
You mean every cave in the world? So it is safe to assume most caves are warmer inside than out?

Sorry, Florida springs and caves run 69 to 72 all year. Can't speak for anywhere else. Yes, at this time of year in North Florida, particularly for the morning dive, the water is much warmer than the air. Now, in a couple of months, the water is a nice cool off (at least initially) from the blistering heat.

mavjax:
Sorry, Florida springs and caves run 69 to 72 all year. Can't speak for anywhere else. Yes, at this time of year in North Florida, particularly for the morning dive, the water is much warmer than the air. Now, in a couple of months, the water is a nice cool off (at least initially) from the blistering heat.

wow, sounds nice. I have never dove in Florida before. I heard it was nice though. Are there really a lot of caves down there? btw Thanks for the info.

In general, temperature inside a cave (wet or dry) is the average temperature of the region where the cave is located, averaged over thousands and thousands of years.

Not always true, nor exact, but in general.

Roak

roakey:
In general, temperature inside a cave (wet or dry) is the average temperature of the region where the cave is located, averaged over thousands and thousands of years.

Not always true, nor exact, but in general.

Roak

That's interesting. btw how is TDI's cavern class? I have been looking into it and it sounds pretty cool.

gerardnealon:
That's interesting. btw how is TDI's cavern class? I have been looking into it and it sounds pretty cool.

As has been said in many other threads it's more the instructor than the agency. There are a number of good instructors on the board. I personally use Rick Murcar and so far have moved through Cavern and Intro Cave. You can find him here as GDI.

mavjax:
As has been said in many other threads it's more the instructor than the agency. There are a number of good instructors on the board. I personally use Rick Murcar and so far have moved through Cavern and Intro Cave. You can find him here as GDI.

great, thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom