Temps in Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmdoug

Registered
Reaction score
For everyone interested in Tobermory the weekend was very windy!

Weather reports stated winds NW 20-30 kts clocking W for Sunday. Wave height crest to peak was 1-2 m increasing to 3 m on Sunday.

All boats were confined to the big tub harbour and completed the Sweepstakes and the Tugs. There were no boats that ventured out into open water.

The local ferry Chi-Cheemon turned around at her halfway point to Manitoulin and later docked using 5 steel cables on each cleat to hold her into port.

In speaking with the locals they stated that over the past week 17 foot waves were reported on the crossing to Manitoulin....and they ended up moving the ferry from Tobermory into Dyers bay for shelter from weather. You know that it is windy if the ferry stops!

Everything was closed with exception of the Lighthouse Restaurant (closing the 17th) and the Princess Hotel. Night life within the port of Tobermory was closed for season. The crowsnest was even boarded up.

Dive shops were open for airfills and there were still a few in the local area that made attempts to get in the water, and succeded. Water temp at depth was 55 at the lighthouse, 57 on the tugs. Overcast and rain all weekend.

Dive safe,

How long do the boats run in Tobermory, Do the dive shops run ice diving

I spoke with Perry @ G&S the last time I was up there in Mid sept and he mentioned that the boats would be out after next weekend, I believe.

The boats come out of the water on the 25th of October. In speaking with Perry he stated that Ice diving is possible and if air fills are required he would be available over the winter to do that.

I am sure that if anyone is interested in doing an icedive there are a plethora of LDS's that would be willing to conduct one. Just need to call around and sign up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom