Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, the saga continues. Those of you who have followed know that I currently have Teric #7 that was repaired in August for a broken antenna. I went back to Florida in September and in October and the computer worked perfectly.

My wife and I recently spent two weeks in Bonaire. I did 37 dives in Bonaire. The computer worked fine for dives 1-27. On dive 28, it initially registered gas pressure and then lost communication. To my surprise, it worked normally again on dive 29. On dive 30, communication was again lost. I was able to connect temporarily by putting the computer behind my head, close to the transmitter. It captured pressure and calculated SAC. I thought this was another disconnected antenna. Strangely, the computer worked normally again for dives 31-37. The SW Cloud graph for dive 30 is shown below with the temporary connections.

View attachment 819070

After a short negotiation with Shearwater, the computer is on its way back to Dive-Tronix for repair or replacement.

The battery performance of this 1 year old computer has deteriorated a bit, and consumption is currently a little over 1% per day.

View attachment 819071
Wow! You are patient!
I have over 300 dives on my Teric and it has worked flawlessly as my backup computer. I sent it in for service 2 years ago and they changed the battery and it has continued to work great. I am thinking of selling it because I now use another Perdix for my backup. Maybe I should ask more for it since it seems to be one of the good ones! LOL

Sorry to hear your saga continues, @scubadada

I just came back from 2nd trip since my Teric antenna & battery replacements. Made 10 dives on the 1st trip and 32 dives on the 2nd trip. So far it works fine. Fingers crossed.

The 2nd trip ended 5 days ago. So its battery charge is still showing 100%, as shown, below.

IMG_2900.jpeg

I'm only on Teric #3 Craig, but somehow I think "perfect" might be slightly too high a threshold for my expectations.
Maybe "Perfekt" as in "Glock Perfektication".

I got one of my Terics battery replaced by Dive-Tronix. I think the actual work was done on Dec 20. I received it back on Dec 26 showing a 100% charge. I’ve been in Cozumel since 12/30. I’ve done 8 dives of about an hour each, so far, and it’s currently at 74%. I haven’t charged it at all since I got it back.

I have had ZERO problems with my Teric's battery in the last 2-3 years since it came back from Dive-tronic.

Ever since I traded it for a very lightly used Perdix.

Sorry to hear your saga continues, @scubadada

I just came back from 2nd trip since my Teric antenna & battery replacements. Made 10 dives on the 1st trip and 32 dives on the 2nd trip. So far it works fine. Fingers crossed.

The 2nd trip ended 5 days ago. So its battery charge is still showing 100%, as shown, below.

View attachment 819142
I'm on Teric battery # 3:
  • Original unit bought at launch in 2018
  • 1st battery replacement in Dec 2019 after high drain in storage. This was almost a complete rebuild actually - case and bezel were about the only things not replaced.
  • 2nd battery replacement in Feb 2022 after high drain in storage - just battery replaced.
After my last trip in September 2023, it seemed to be draining a bit faster in storage than I'd expect so I recently recharged fully and monitored:
  • Dec 11 - 100%
  • Dec 19 - 74%
  • Jan 2 - 42%
  • Jan 5 - 36%
So it looks like ~2.6%/day loss on average but it is not completely linear (I have AI and compass turned to OFF in storage, btw).

From my experience, the battery replacement is great at first but, after a dive trip or 2, it heads towards the higher drain again. In practice, it's not a huge issue for me as I can recharge nightly on a trip if needed - but clearly many Terics seem not to have the battery life that was advertised and that may be an issue for some users. - a dent in the Shearwater armor for sure!

I'm not sure that there is much point in sending it back again at this point - hopefully, a Teric 2 is coming that will address the battery and other issues. I also hope the Tern and Tern AI don't have these issues as well but Shearwater's silence on the battery topic would be a bit of a concern to me if buying a new watch style DC from them. Even though the support from them is fantastic, it can still be a hassle to have to send it back to fix.

Meanwhile, I love my Perdix 2 (and Perdix AI before that) - zero issues with those!

I got one of my Terics battery replaced by Dive-Tronix. I think the actual work was done on Dec 20. I received it back on Dec 26 showing a 100% charge. I’ve been in Cozumel since 12/30. I’ve done 8 dives of about an hour each, so far, and it’s currently at 74%. I haven’t charged it at all since I got it back.

I still haven't charged that Teric. So, I guess it was last charged around Dec 20. I did 12 dives, of about an hour each. Now I'm back and the charge is still at about 58%. That was with the screen brightness on High and AI and Compass both turned off.

I love my Terics, but I LOVE them when the battery is working like that!

Mine is going on 5 days since I charged it and is now at 65%. Its going diving again in 2 weeks so probably not enough time to have it replaced before trip. At least I can charge it every night and hope it last for 3 hours of diving each day.

Mine is going on 5 days since I charged it and is now at 65%. Its going diving again in 2 weeks so probably not enough time to have it replaced before trip. At least I can charge it every night and hope it last for 3 hours of diving each day.

The problem with the battery does not cause it to discharge more quickly than normal when diving. It's just a problem of discharging more quickly than it is supposed to when stored.

Even when mine have been at their worst, they would still easily last for 3 or 4 days in a row of diving.

Back
Top Bottom