Texas Flower Gardens pet peeves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvilleStang:
You weren't the person that had the upchuck reflexes at Deep Sea 3D in the 6ish showing the opening Saturday on the left side of the theatre, were you? That had to be one of the more interesting announcements I've heard in a theatre: "I apologize, but someone lost their lunch on the left side of the theatre, so if you can, I'd go to the right and find seats..." Soon there after followed by a round of applause for the poor soul that had to clean it up!

Good, I'm not the only one. Mine was a low level helicopter ride along the Hawian coastline in a perfectly still seat. It took me a moment to realize what was happening and then I took advantage of the opportunity to study the new experience. I did not let it progress to any real production, but I kept coming back for more of a unique experience for me. As a result, I have become much more sympathetic of the chuckers and try not to eat in front of them - especially the cans of sardines.

ianr33:
My main problem with the Flower Gardens is being woken up at 6a.m. I mean,thats just not civilized.

On the longer trips where you do 4 dives a day and 3 hr SIs on all subsequent days, you get to sleep an extra hour. I always get up a 1/2 hour eary to plug in the coffee pot and avoid the lines. You also get first shot at the pastries that way.

The first time I went out to the Gardens I wanted to abosutely die from my seasickness... Many people can mitigate the truma of seasickness by going out on the water in smaller craft, and easing your way to rough seas on a 100' boat. I get seasick when going on a boat after a month layoff. After five or six trips out (in my own 46' boat) handling it on a larger craft becomes a lot better. After all, if everyone got seasick and could never find a way to over-come it, there would be no one at sea.

It's been said at least once,

Listen to the briefings. Do as you are instructed. One of the quickest ways to not get to do a rig dive is too many people failing to do as they are told. This is a wildly popular dive.

If you are told in your briefing, do not do free descents, do not do free descents.

Be ready to hit the water when the jump gate opens. If you can do 45-50 minute dives, you should be first in the water, not last.

Drink lots of water.

Have fun.

TwoBit

ianr33:
My main problem with the Flower Gardens is being woken up at 6a.m. I mean,thats just not civilized.

GOOD MAUNING DIVAHS, WELCOME TO STETSON!!:068:

Here's a question appropriate for this thread that I've not seen answered in their FAQ: Do they provide clips and/or hangars for the wetsuits?

I've seen it suggested (more than once) to get one of the outside gear seats so you're not fighting all the suits, which to me implies they're hanging...but no clarification if its a BYO hangar sort of situation.

Packing tonight for the Labor Day weekend trip (Thank you Ernesto for veering East and dwindling!!), so would like to know if I should chuck a couple of hangars in my pack or not....

Yes, we provide hangers for wetsuits. All you need is a smile, your dive gear (including C-Card (Nitrox if diving Nitrox)) and some type of surface signalling device. If you don't have one of them, we will issue you one and hold your C-Card hostage until you return it at the end of the trip.

If you are not sure about getting sea-sick, I would suggest taking your meds 12 to 24 hours in advance and DO NOT take too many...it can have the adverse effect. As others mentioned, stay hydrated before and after your trip.

The rest you will get in your briefings. Still not sure why they call them 'BRIEFings' as they are NOT brief by any means. MAKE sure, as said before, PAY ATTENTION TO ALL BRIEFINGS....we are not there to hear ourselves talk.

Have a great trip, safe diving, and a safe Labor Day weekend.

Thanks, Zen. Looking forward to it greatly. Read the FAQ repeatedly, preprinted my releases, have my own sausage (and one for the wife, so talking safety not biology folks!), primary and backup lights, DAN, Nitrox, and C-cards, Log, spare strappage, o-rings (both Viton and std), and an adjustable wrench... about the only thing not bringing is a spare mouthpiece in case I chew thru mine...

The smile will come on its own once I get dipped in salt water again....

Sounds like you are all set then buddy. Have a great trip....the big palegics have been out there and a LOT of marine life on the reefs lately. You should have a great trip. We just finished up a Zendiving 3 day trip (M-W - Aug 21-23) and then 2 day trip (F-S Aug 26-27) trip with CHUM. Water temps were 84+, some mild currents but nothing to bad and the visibility was 75+. If you are interested, check out the Photo Gallery from our latest trips.

Sorry I won't see ya out there as we are heading to CA to dive the Northern Channel Islands over Labor Day weekend: Anacapa and Santa Cruz. A tad bit cooler water. Last I heard, it was 57...buuuur. Had to pull out the dry suit and knock off the cob-webs. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom