TG-4 (Faceplate) Gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olympus has corrected this issue with the Tg-5. Now you have to push a button on the front of the camera to release the ring.

No need for a housing for the TG-5 if you're staying above 50 ft. I've been to 70 ft. with mine—it gives you a visual warning and the buttons stop working, but it doesn't flood and starts working again once you return to a within-spec depth.

I have the Olympus TG-4 and the same exact thing happened to me this year while snorkeling. I caught the ring once (as it was floating down), then later it was gone forever. I was left with the bent piece of metal on the plastic ring still attached to the camera. At first I was worried it would allow water into the camera, but I continued to snorkel and there was no problem. The decorative ring turned easily from "day one" of using the camera, so I consider it a design flaw. I'm glad they've corrected the problem for the TG-5. But if it isn't leaking water, why should I bother to replace the decorative ring when it will fall off again? I just pulled off the piece of bent metal and I'm ready to use my camera. Any thoughts on the reason to replace this ring other than to "keep it new looking?" I think it will fall off again unless I get the Olympus CLA-T01 Conversion Lens Adapter that was mentioned earlier and appears to be a "tighter fit."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom