TGH Chamber News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the sentiments in both letters. However, the guy in letter 2 seems a little un-informed as he mentions Tobermory and Kingston, when Tobermory has their own chamber. As it stands at the moment, diving in Toby or other parts of the Bruce Peninsula is a better place to be if you should need a chamber ride. Looking East, is there a chamber in Ottawa or what's the option for the Brockville area?
I've never considered DAN coverage to be "optional" for myself or my family but it's even more important now.

Groundhog246:
I agree with the sentiments in both letters. However, the guy in letter 2 seems a little un-informed as he mentions Tobermory and Kingston, when Tobermory has their own chamber. As it stands at the moment, diving in Toby or other parts of the Bruce Peninsula is a better place to be if you should need a chamber ride. Looking East, is there a chamber in Ottawa or what's the option for the Brockville area?
I've never considered DAN coverage to be "optional" for myself or my family but it's even more important now.

Yes accidents in the Brockville area will be transfered to Ottawa. The chamber there can accomodate two persons sitting or one patient on a stretcher but the attendant is outside.

Calling DAN direct is the way to go. They will direct you to the nearest appropriate active chamber and hopefully OHIP will pick up the transportation bill even if transfered out of the country.

The current case before the Supreme Court is exactly what this chamber issue represents. If the government is going to have a monopoly on health care services in this country to what standard of care should they be held to? With a type 2 DCS incident boat to chamber treatment time should be measured in minutes to hours, not hours to half days. What happens when the government closes the only chamber for critical patients in the province for at least a year increasing this boat to chamber time to the point where there will be increased morbidity and mortality for divers who will be required seek treatment elsewhere and likely have to take a flight to get there? The current case before the court asks the question shouldn't the government be held accountable for the quality of care offered the paying taxpayer if the government is the only provider? A city of three million citizens and one of the largest fire departments in North America no longer has a chamber to treat its most serious dive and CO poisoning cases.

Hi everyone I have been busy with the Rebreather guys and have not been able to get back to this important issue until now. Thanks to everyone who has helped our cause. Everyone’s voice counts to make this hyperbaric chamber facility happen. The Toronto Star has a new action column called --the fixer-- “when all else fails call us’ 416-350-3000 ext. 2349 [2fix] or visit www.thestar.com/thefixer lets see if they can help us fix this mess . As I stated before the squeaky wheel gets the oil lets get squeaky and help our fellow Ontarians. Also ----------- thanks for the idea of sending a letter to George Smitherman at the Ministry of Health And Long Term Care suite M1-57 MacDonald block, 900 Bay St. Toronto Ont. M7A 1N3. You don’t need a stamp just drop it in the mail and thanks to ----------- for Mr. Smitherman's email address at www.health.gov.on.ca/english...smitherman .html. Anyone else who has any phone numbers , addresses or email address of people who should be contacted please let me know so the can get them in the loop and on this thread. I know of many hyperbaric chambers private and otherwise in Ontario and none of them have a medical critical care staff to handle critical care emergencies on call. Also no 6ata. chambers are on order to be manufactured in the near or distant future and no funding for staff to support a critical care hyperbaric facility. Sport divers we are also doing this to help our service provider’s the men and women of the fire and police departments across Ontario. How do we express our appreciation to their dedication to us if they need hyperbaric treatments and none is in the planning to build or order stage? Its not just sport divers who need the use of a chamber but the general public our families, friends, neighbors and fellow Ontarians for medical treatments. Think of the approximately 5000 diabetics who lose a limb each year because of the lack of treatment facilities and hyperbaric staff in Ontario? This whole issue makes me sick to think that a very important medical treatment is being ignored. I hope all who read this will enlist a little time and help to get the message out in the public. I have been grabbing every ear I can and educating everyone I meet about this topic and enlisting their help. You can do it …………. Speak to someone you know about this topic. Tell them they can help make a real difference in someone’s life in Ontario. Encourage them to write the addresses above but also contact their mp. and mop. And voice their concerns. Let your local fire station know you care about their health and safety. Thanks to all .................... Robert.........ps sorry about the spelling ect.... I have had little sleep in the past weeks ..........

Hello everyone Happy Canada Day.................. You can make a difference ......lets get started... Read Mr. Adams posting its great................. Write, phone, call and email those numbers on this thread and lets get a critical care staff and chamber in the GTA .................. have safe fun see you underwater and don't forget to get extra insurance for your dives this year.............................. Robert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom