TGH Chamber News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x:
In what specific areas were they untruthful?

Perhaps when you reply with specifics we can have Alex from the TGH come on here and answer you directly from the horses mouth so as to prevent another rediculous run of internet experts chirping in.

Seems only fair to hear both sides of the story.

Try reading the Toronto Star article where the physicians who work at the chamber have offered their opinions on the numbers of patients likely involved annually. Those docs' opinions have had to be given anonymously for fear of professional reprisals by the hospital. That should tell you something about the spin doctors who put out the hospital PR material.

In the same article Dr. Kindwall an independent world expert on hyperbaric medicine offers his not so kind opinion on the situation as well.

Bill Roman president of the Canadian Council on Hyperbaric Medicine, a group representing the country's hospital based hyperbaric physicians describes Ontario now as a "third world country when it comes to hyperbaric care."

The bottomline is if you are intubated and on a stretcher you are going to be flying somewhere or taking a long ambulance ride to Hamilton. Delays in treatment of Type 2 DCS injuries represent time which represent greater CNS damage which means greater permanent disability. 'Time is brain' with these delays.

You choose who you want to believe: the docs that work there who fear reprisals, Dr. Kindwall a world expert on hyperbaric medicine who assessed the place independently, the Canadian Council on Hyperbaric Medicine, or a PR person called Alex who works for the hospital admin.

The devil is always in the details.

I guess I should believe some random from the internet named Pufferfish or Captain Kangaroo then?

Is that any different? Like Vlada said. My insurance is paid.

This sounds like an issue with the health care system on the whole that was poorly formed and laid a good deal of blame on one representative of the hospital who answered a question directly.

Although probably is a valid issue with the Ontario health care system it is in poor taste for the self proclaimed Captain to take a shot at Alex from TGH.

He has yet to directly address where she was untruthful.

As it stands this thread seems to be an awful lot of banging the drum and not a lot of vocals so I think I will abandon it and go diving.

l8tr

Hi guys read the old thread on the board. Who is the nasty guy? Go Ahead Be nasty call me names its all true I am what you say even worse. I want to help the people in our community. Very effective last time picking on our little puffer fish, pick on me I am a diver. This is no time for listening to ....nasty........ What would happen today to a Metro Police Diver with AGE, A Metro Fireman with smoked out lungs, a commuter with blood loss and crush injuries. What would happen if they all showed up within an hour or on the same day of each other for medical treatment? What would happen if at the same time this happened in Mississauga or some other GTA area? It’s highly unlikely to happen, but what if. I am a commercial diver what happens to my diver if he has an embolism. What happens to my student on his openwater dive if something goes wrong? What happens to my customer out for a dive on my boat? Nothing ever goes wrong does it? What about all the other services provided by hyperbaric services to you the general public and your families? He here's a good one it never happens if we ship them off for treatment elsewhere. Sorry I was slipping into a grumpy mode sorry... My business is safety I don't feel safe with no backup. What happens tomorrow..........this weekend.........next week........ Welcome to the third world. Robert

CAPT Robert c:
Hi guys read the old thread on the board. Who is the nasty guy? Go Ahead Be nasty call me names its all true I am what you say even worse. I want to help the people in our community. Very effective last time picking on our little puffer fish, pick on me I am a diver. This is no time for listening to ....nasty........ What would happen today to a Metro Police Diver with AGE, A Metro Fireman with smoked out lungs, a commuter with blood loss and crush injuries. What would happen if they all showed up within an hour or on the same day of each other for medical treatment? What would happen if at the same time this happened in Mississauga or some other GTA area? It’s highly unlikely to happen, but what if. I am a commercial diver what happens to my diver if he has an embolism. What happens to my student on his openwater dive if something goes wrong? What happens to my customer out for a dive on my boat? Nothing ever goes wrong does it? What about all the other services provided by hyperbaric services to you the general public and your families? He here's a good one it never happens if we ship them off for treatment elsewhere. Sorry I was slipping into a grumpy mode sorry... My business is safety I don't feel safe with no backup. What happens tomorrow..........this weekend.........next week........ Welcome to the third world. Robert

In case my post got misinterpreted - i am not disagreeing with you and Puffer - it seems we are all saying the same thing - if someone got a severe Type 2 or anything else requiring a combo of a stretcher and a chamber ride, than that person is as good as dead 'since TGH be in no position to help

I think what DeepSix was questioning was your post that called TGH's statement untruthful. I thought that Alex person basically told you what i just told you - except in a more convoluted way

I'd be glad to do whatever i can do to fix the situation with a chamber - but i don't think an individual voice would change anything - especially during elections time - you need to get the firefighters and others who are organized to weight in

And in the meantime, i'd keep my insurance paid up

There is no question about the fact that delays in treatment could result in permanent injury or death, therefore it should be unacceptable to all people in the GTA that these services are not being offered in a region with such high population.
Not only diver would benefit from the treatment of a chamber but firefighters and police (others too) as well. Since they have a much stronger lobby, it would be most beneficiary to get them involved.
I would think hat an official protest from various firefighter and police bodies would carry much more weight than anything diver could do.
It appears though that for now a transpost will not be avoided for people on stretcher, so insurance appears to be even more important than ever.

one voice can change things... it takes only one voice to recruit others and when we all express the same thing then people will pay attention.

but if we stand here and say we can't do anything about it and take no action then we are no better off for now trying at all...

Ive written to MPs over the years giving them an earful over matters far more trivial than this. If George Smitherman, Ontario Minister Of Health and Long-Term Care got enough snail mail from various levels, firemen, police and even us Joe Smoes perhaps they might look into it.
BTW his address is...
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Suite M1-57, Macdonald Block
900 Bay Street
Toronto ON M7A 1N3
Canada

I know it doesnt even take a stamp to write to an MP, its a freebie for once, not sure on MPPs, but everytime Ive written to Ottawa they have acknowledged my letter with a reply.
In three weeks or so we will have a new federal cabinet (irregardless of party that wins) and a few letters their way pointing out the lack of suitable hyperbaric facilities in Canadas largest city cant hurt.
Ive got my insurance paid up but if the nearest facility requires flying over one that up till recently did the job then basically we're getting ripped off. I dont expect the health service to pay for nosejobs but I do expect, as should all Canadians, that the utmost in emergency care be made available to all.
(Note this next bit is purely my not so gracious opinion and I have no facts per say to back it up but here it is anyway) The reason for closing it seems like a stupid union trick. ( Im in the CAW, I know all about stupid union tricks) , what did someone twist an ankle sliding past a stretcher in the chamber or something ? Banged the melon off the chamber ceiling ? (What else could it be ?) So the off chance of a clumsy union employee getting a minor injury is worth more than someone crippled or dying ?

Im going to spend 5 minutes and send a letter to Queens Park, been a while since they heard me bellyache anyway....

Axeman:
one voice can change things... it takes only one voice to recruit others and when we all express the same thing then people will pay attention.

but if we stand here and say we can't do anything about it and take no action then we are no better off for now trying at all...

uwhooligan:
Ive written to MPs over the years giving them an earful over matters far more trivial than this. If George Smitherman, Ontario Minister Of Health and Long-Term Care got enough snail mail from various levels, firemen, police and even us Joe Smoes perhaps they might look into it.
BTW his address is...
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Suite M1-57, Macdonald Block
900 Bay Street
Toronto ON M7A 1N3
Canada

And if you would like to send an email free of charge here is his address.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/ministry/bios/smitherman.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom