Thai Airways Baggage Weight Restriction question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddlich

Reaction score
We are flying from JFK to BKK in January. We will be diving out of Phuket on the Ocean Rover. The International weight restrictions are fine (2 bags,70lbs/bag), but the domestic weight restrictions are no good (66lbs total for any number of bags).

We have booked all our flights on the Thai Airways web site. There is a special promotion which allows us an extra 10kg per person. But this still only allows us 66lbs.

Does anyone know of any other promotions with Thai Airways that will allow us more weight allowance?

Do you have any status with star alliance? We once walked up to the counter on SIN-BKK economy with our bags and a 34kg statue to check in with a total of 60kg and no extra charge. I'm star gold and my companion was 1k on united.

When I fly Thai Air from Japan they only give me 44lbs total.......and they mean it too!
I don't fly with them any more.

Just turn up early for the flight and be polite, show your C card and expalin that most off your bags are sport equipment with no compressed air. But don't take the piss ie 33 kg's is starting to push how kind they be to you per person !

Does anyone know of any other airlines flying in Thailand that have higher weight allowances?

Not really any that I know off. Did get charged 200 bht for being over on a flight to Phuket from Bkk with Air Asia.That was about 33kgs. I did explain that I was there for the great diving and how fantastic a dive place Thailand is!!! Point is be very humble and smile and polite to the Thai's will always help a great deal.

Twice recently I have been 15k over my luggage allowance. Twice with bangkok air in and out of samui and once from BK to Chiang mai with orient 1-2 go. With 1-2 go i was charged 450baht. With bangkok airways each time they only charged me half the amount I was over which was about 300 baht each time.

Back
Top Bottom