Thailand vs. Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HD711

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all. I am planning a trip to Malaysia and Phuket at the end of November to mid December. I am traveling with someone who does not dive, so I am only going to dive once. Which of the two location would you recommend I dive in? Any particular dive sites I should not miss?

To me depends where in Malaysia you'll be. To me, if in Sabah, Mabul/Sipadan is better than diving around Phuket. If not able to get to Sabah, do a short Similans liveaboard that includes Richelieu Rock...although your non-diving friend may not be too thrilled with a LOB.

Check where monsoon season is. Not all resorts are open and the sea gets pretty rough.
If you are going to Peninsula Malaysia (the bit with KL) then I think you may be out of luck diving on the East coast. Have a look at Langkawi that may offer something for both of you.
I have yet to get to Thailand so post if you go there and give your opinion.

Hi HD711,

I live in Sabah (Malaysia Borneo) and run a dive business here - so my advice is based up on my experience of living and diving here.

For Malaysia large parts of peninsular Malaysia are impact by the north east monsoons from November - February so diving tends to stop as the sea state is too rough.

Sabah is known as the 'Land beneath the wind' as it is not impacted by monsoons. You could consider staying at a Resort near Sipadan / Mabul or Mataking on a non-diver package with your friend and you pay extra for a few dives.

You could also consider diving from Kota KKinabalu in nearby Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. You could go diving for a day whilst your friend could choose to join the same boat for snorkeling out chilling out on one of the islands in the Marine Park. There's also lots of non-diving stuff you could choose to join from KK too.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your holiday!

DG

I got my certs at Palau Tioman just off Mersing in Peninsular Malaysia and it was a great experience, but I went there specifically for diving (and in late february/early march). About to do my own first liveaboard at Similan this January.

If you're just looking for a quick dive, as you are traveling with a non-diver, you can do day trips in the Phuket area for somewhere between 100-200USD I think (just from memory of seeing listings as we were perusing LOB options). I can't yet attest to the diving in the area but it should be pretty special.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom