Thanks Alabama Spearfishing Organization along with Gary’s Gulf Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to thank the Alabama Spearfishing Organization along with Gary’s Gulf Divers on behalf of the Lost Boyz (Terry, Tom and Shane) Even though we had no fish to compete with we did put fish in the box and have a blast. A special thanks go out to Mrs. Linda for those that don’t know her she is Gary’s better half she was a life saver when we had a buckle to fail on one of the new fandangle DUI weight belts . Say what you will but it is hard to beat a plane old SS Buckle.

Our day began early with everyone pumped and ready to go boat loaded tank racks filled to overflow with tanks strapped to the floor off we went we had a dive plan of four different dive sites but after all was said and done just two was used. On our first dive of the day we suited up rather quickly I was dropping with Shane reaching for my Rhino I noticed it stood all alone proudly in it’s rack I said to Shane ah hey buddy ah where is your gun? With a funny look on his face he said I forgot it He lost that funny look quick enough while riding the forty five minute ride back to the truck while wearing a wetsuit in the sun today. For the life of me I cant understand why he didn’t take it off. Anyhow to make a long story short we did return to the site which yielded very few fish.

As the day grew longer we decided to try out luck along the beach but cheating a little to keep from having to make that long walk across the sand arriving at the whiskey wreck the Viz was about a good 5’ to 10’ foot while there we met up with a old boy from Mobile offering up some pretty cheap classes as he broke of from a local dive shop over that way I stand by the old saying though you get what you pay for in the end. Anyways Snorkeling up to us he was quick to say be careful a blacktip has been harassing them the last couple of days I sorta chuckled to myself yea right a blacktip sure. Anyways with Snorkels covering the wreck and very limited Viz and no fish we moved on west.

Dropping in on Mat’s dive hole the Paddle wheeler (Miami) with about 10’ limited viz we find some fish and put some in the box. Small Mangrove snapper where abundant Sheepshead came in a close second . I ask you Have you ever had one of them days you just don’t seem to miss? Well today was my day I say this for a reason later to come. I dropped to the floor just off north side of the wreck and took up squatter rights just as fast as I could load I was firing filling a stringer attached to my side .
The old Rhino gave me some trouble the trigger hung-up and wouldn’t allow me to load my shaft at one point it took me about 20min to free it up. If I had only none what was to be in store for me I would have left the water rather quickly at that time.
Shane taped me on the Shoulder and showed he was running low on air I called the dive and motioned upwards unloading my gun as we surfaced waterlogged and worn out I’m ready to go. Again Shane taps me on the back and says hey Tom what is that fast moving black shadow :11: (typical Yankee) here I am with a stringer full of fish and a unloaded gun and this Yankee is asking about a large Black shadow that keeps zipping by (talk about brain dead)
I lower my head to get a look with a puckered a## and sure enough there was a large believe it or not Blacktip charging in swinging around and running back out faster than any shark I’ve come across in the water. I look to Shane and say Blacktip and he kinda cocks his head to the side with a dumbfounded expression on it. I then say Shark well now the lord would have been proud of old Shane he parted the water like Moses :rofl3: leaving his buddy with a stringer of fish and an unloaded gun . I yell for him to at least throw me his gun since it still had its bands loaded so he throws me this little aluminum JBL hell I would just piss it off with this gun:D so I decide to use it as a hand spear if need be.

I want to state once again just how fast this shark moved it was unbelievable anyways about 35’ and several Charlie-horse later with my stringer in tow I make it out of the water to a buddy who said I had your back

All in all it was a great day and as far as the Paddle wheeler it is a must see that baby is uncovering great. I got to get out there with a tape to get some measurements . Has anyone seen the object towards the west end yet it is off kinda to itself could this be a large encrusted anchor?

If the pic's come out there should be some good ones:rofl3:

Good Grief! That was an interesting report. I did not know we had Blacktips down this way. Maybe I will take my new little dive boat the next time I dive the Whiskey and not do the beach thing. I do not guess you got any pictures of the shark. Pictures were probably the last thing on your mind at that point. Glad you had an adventure and no one was hurt.

Mike

Port Tack:
Good Grief! That was an interesting report. I did not know we had Blacktips down this way. Maybe I will take my new little dive boat the next time I dive the Whiskey and not do the beach thing. I do not guess you got any pictures of the shark. Pictures were probably the last thing on your mind at that point. Glad you had an adventure and no one was hurt.

Mike

Mike it is so much easer rolling off the side compared to that long walk. Hey by the way did you get one of them ladders you were asking about? I;m just wondering how a small ladder like that would work out. I would love to have one were it could be removed and put in place without much trouble. I need to get somthing I;m starting to feel my age now days. Years ago we use to catch the blacktips off Fairhope pier all night long 3 and 4ft long

Tom, the ladder is the only thing I have not put on the boat yet. I have decided on the Windline 3 step though and will let you know how she works. I think 3 steps will be enough for my little boat. I plan to pick it up the end of this week at the boat place just south of Foley. The Windline version seems to be a better design and comes with a backing plate.
I did not know Blacktips were in our area. All I have seen out there are the Bulls, Hammerheads and nurse sharks. Enjoy your week.

Mike

What was the first site you guys dove?

I'm going to have to get out to the wrecks sometime this week, before the sharks leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom