Thanksgiving in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happy Thanksgiving! Happy 100th post! I am now an AOW cyberdiver! I will be enjoying my in-laws bad cooking on Turkey Day and my parent's gourmet cooking on Saturday! C'est la vie.

We celebrated with family at our cottage on a cool fall day. Too much turkey, pie, - it was great!

Here is some info I found on Canadian and US Thanksgivings:

Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October),

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada, goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Northern America. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now called Newfoundland, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies.
At the same time, French settlers, having crossed the ocean and arrived in Canada with explorer Samuel de Champlain, also held huge feasts of thanks. They even formed 'The Order of Good Cheer' and gladly shared their food with their Indian neighbors.

USA Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November),

According to historical sources, the Pilgrims never held an autumnal Thanksgiving feast. The Pilgrims did have a feast in 1621 near Plymouth, Massachusetts, after their first harvest. This is the feast people often refer to as "The First Thanksgiving." This feast was never repeated, so it can't be called the start of a tradition, nor did the colonists or Pilgrims call it a Thanksgiving Feast. In fact, to these devoutly religious people, a day of thanksgiving was a day of prayer and fasting.
Nevertheless, the 1621 feast has become a model for the Thanksgiving celebration in the United States. More than likely, this first harvest feast was eaten outside, based on the fact that the colonists didn't have a building large enough to accommodate all the people who came. Native Americans definitely were among the invited guests, and it's possible, even probable, that turkey (roasted but not stuffed) and pumpkin in some form found their way to the table.

Eating and visiting with friends. Also watching Texas beat Texas A&M.

But first - off to American Red Cross to donate platelets, then spilt some firewood (with the help of the 32 ton log splitter) and rake the yard. Then to my brothers to eat turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and fall asleep in front of whatever football game is on.

We may even see snow this week! Happy Holidays!

PLease everyone during your holiday travels buckle-up those seat belts and don't speed (even if your late!). Get there safe and sound.

Jersey how wonderful that you donate. Be careful splitting those logs being a few cells low!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

--Starfish cooking a 14 pd Turkey for 2! Anyone need a dinner in Minnesota?

Sounds like everyone is going to have a great day.
Here's the menu at my house.
I'd love to have more guests!
We're deep frying a 12 pound turkey.
We're making Emeril's Andouille Corn Bead Stuffing. One of the sides .. Green bean casserole with the new cheese flavored crispy onions on top.
I love sweet potatos too. I'm making it with the little marshmellows, and real Canadian Maple syrup on top.
David made a Texas Pecan pie, and I made a Kahlua cake.
So who's coming?

Natasha once bubbled...
Sounds like everyone is going to have a great day.
Here's the menu at my house.
I'd love to have more guests!
We're deep frying a 12 pound turkey.
We're making Emeril's Andouille Corn Bead Stuffing. One of the sides .. Green bean casserole with the new cheese flavored crispy onions on top.
I love sweet potatos too. I'm making it with the little marshmellows, and real Canadian Maple syrup on top.
David made a Texas Pecan pie, and I made a Kahlua cake.
So who's coming?

Natasha,
Sound like a great time at your place. Sorry I can't join you but after hearing about the feast you may get a lot of folks on your doorstep. I will be taking my mom to my cousins for the day. This year my son will be joining us, along with my cousins daughter and family. Lots of food and football. Turkey, my mom's special stuffing, pumpkin pies and more!!!!! Hope all that are celebrating have a great day.

Wishing everyone safe travels and clear roads.

I'm thankful every day, especially for good health, and that I found out how awesome diving is.
This Thanksgiving day I'll be with my family, my wife and two boys,one daughter inlaw, my brother and his wife , my sister and her two boys, at Mom and Dad's to eat more than I should - a big turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, greenbean cassarole, salads, and for desert, homemade pumkin pie, homemade apple pie/ icecream:) and other various goodies and of course there is always others that show up to say hello and for dinner, it will be fun.
Here's wishing all that read this a "Happy Thanksgiving Day"

Caymaniac

BEM once bubbled...
Here is some info I found on Canadian and US Thanksgivings:

Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October),

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada, goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Northern America. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now called Newfoundland, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies.

I want to thank you! I have several Canadian friends, mostly online, but you are the first one that has been able to explain why Canada's Thanksgiving is in October.

As for me, I shall be going with my brother to a dear friend's home for Thanksgiving Lunch. Her oldest son was my best friend before he passed away a year ago. We're going to be joining her and her two other sons for the day.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend. Please drive carefully if you are travelling.

Ken :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom