The all inclusive Oriskany Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My questions are:

1. If my business is in Ft Walton Beach, where do you recommend I try and get a boat trip out to the Oriskany?

2. Any hotel recommendations for that area (something with a fitness room preferred).

3. What is the typical water temperature in April?

4. I really don't want to be below 80 feet (the Island), are their still a lot of photo opportunities if I limit myself to the Island?

5. Any recommendations for a dive master? Since I am going by myself and still consider myself somewhat of a beginner (51 dives), i am willing to pay to make sure i have a highly qualified buddy with me.

I have used Dalton Kennedy and will use him on my next trip. Go to Due South Custom Charters

Other info and answers to some of your questions can be found at MBT Dive & Surf  Pensacola, Florida (850) 455-7702 MBT Divers is the dive shop you can use for tank rentals and other dive needs.

I have not dove the O since the last hurricane shifted it. So, if you limit yourself to 80 feet, I am not sure how much of a dive you will have. Someone else may be able to help with your depth/photo question and also the guide question.

The very tip top (a piece of pipe) is 78’ the top of the island is about 84’ The fight deck before the hurricane was 141’ and is now 151’. I personally don’t see a 10 degree list but I did notice some damage to the island, plates of steel missing and cracks in other plates. If you feel that 100’ is possible for you it will be a much more enjoyable dive.

I might have a business trip to the Fort Walton Beach area in April. I am thinking about about taking my dive gear with me and heading down a day or two early. My questions are:

1. If my business is in Ft Walton Beach, where do you recommend I try and get a boat trip out to the Oriskany? Closest place is Pensacola.

2. Any hotel recommendations for that area (something with a fitness room preferred). I don't have any connections or recommendations in Ft. Walton Beach.

3. What is the typical water temperature in April? Normally in the 70's by then.

4. I really don't want to be below 80 feet (the Island), are their still a lot of photo opportunities if I limit myself to the Island? The Island offers pleanty to see. 80' is a bit shallow- you'll need to get down to 90' or 100' to see the good stuff.

5. Any recommendations for a dive master? Since I am going by myself and still consider myself somewhat of a beginner (51 dives), i am willing to pay to make sure i have a highly qualified buddy with me. Give Capt. Douglas Hammock of the "H2O Below" a call - (850) 291-3501. He runs a great boat with a great staff and he's got several dive masters with several hundred dives each on the Oriskany.

Thanks,
Lynn

Take a look at Charter Boat H2O Below     Pensacola Florida

Thanks to all for the quick responses! You helped to confirm my impression that Pensacola would be the closes location.

I've only have two dives below 100 feet. The first dive I had a panic attack feeling and almost shot up to the top, but got myself to level out at 75 feet and relax for a few minutes before going back down below 100 feet. The next day I went back down for another 100 foot dive and instead of the panic feeling I had the gitty feeling that they warn you about. I also tend to go through air faster than others that are on the same dive so if I can, prefer not to go any deeper than necessary to enjoy the dive. Thus the combination of both is why I asking about staying at the level of the "Island". And also the reason I would pay the extra for the dive master!

If my business trip is a go, I will give the dive a try. Any recommendations for any other dives in the area (shore or boat)? If I go it would mean diving on a Sunday and Monday. So what are the odds of being able to get some dives on Monday's?

Thanks,
Lynn

can anyone give me their most recent Oriskany Trip report. Taking a group in a few days and want to know what the water temps, and visibility conditions where, and how was the surface conditions

Lynn614:
Thanks to all for the quick responses! You helped to confirm my impression that Pensacola would be the closes location.
There are folks who go to the Oriskany from Destin... Here's one...

I've only have two dives below 100 feet. The first dive I had a panic attack feeling and almost shot up to the top, but got myself to level out at 75 feet and relax for a few minutes before going back down below 100 feet. The next day I went back down for another 100 foot dive and instead of the panic feeling I had the gitty feeling that they warn you about. I also tend to go through air faster than others that are on the same dive so if I can, prefer not to go any deeper than necessary to enjoy the dive. Thus the combination of both is why I asking about staying at the level of the "Island". And also the reason I would pay the extra for the dive master!
Got to be honest with you... and I hate to rain on your parade...:depressed: but it dosn't sound to me like you're quite ready for the Oriskany yet. The top of the structure is about 90 feet now, so the combination of not yet having a consistent reaction to the depth, and gas consumption "faster than others," just says "get some more dives under your belt first." There are plenty of good fun shallower sites in the area, from Destin, Pensacola and/or Panama City. My recommendation is that you take advantage of some of those shallower dives this trip and save the "Mighty O" for a time when you're settled in your deeper diving - then you'll be able to enjoy the dive a whole lot more rather than having those nagging little depth concerns on your mind.
Also, just checking my log from years past tell me that April water temps (at 60 FSW) can be anywhere from the low 70's to the high 50's (cold). This year I'm betting we won't see 70 until late May, if at all. (summer before last the warmest it ever got on the Oriskany was 69! In August!)
Rick

Southwest Airlines on May 23rd starts flying into Pensacola Florida. The airport is called the Northwest Florida Beaches. Does any one know where the closest dive operator is for diving the "O". We would rather be close to dive site than airport. Thanks for the rapid reply & Happy diving

Back
Top Bottom