The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is that $5.00 is equavalent to "good job thanks I had fun today". $20.00 is about a "Thanks for swiming all the way out to me to make sure i was ok after i drifted off the wreck and surfacing with out knowing where i am" or" thanks for leanding me that reg after mine had a blow out" These are just guidelines from my experience

On a US boat daytrip, I usually tip $10 for 2 or 3 dives, if warranted (which is most of the time). The only occasions I haven't tipped, or have left lesser tips, is when I feel that the crew haven't tried to be the surface support that you expect. Crud diving conditions don't warrant reduced tipping, crud "paying customer and service provider" interactions do.

I tip for service, not because tipping is expected. Or because the captain mentions it in the dive briefing. Leaving the tip bucket out should be enough.

Always make sure that you have a couple of $5 notes with you before boarding!

$10 in the states - formaking me feel welcome, etc. agree with ben - water condition do not warrant less tip. no mention of tip on the boats i was on - just a plastic candy jar with thankyou on it in the galley. read somewhere that 2 beers was customary.

Tkojis once bubbled...
I am interested in hearing from divers as well as those in the dive industry. What do you typically leave as a tip for the dive staff? Im talking about day trips and land based operations,not liveaboards. Just ther dive staff,not houskeeping,cooks etc. I know the location and cost of living affects this...so Im looking for a good rule of thumb in places like Belize,Cosumel, United States and the Carribean. I understand and appreciate the importance and professionalism of a good dive staff. I am aslso reluctant to leave any gratuites to inferior service. thanks for any input.

$5 a dive for the most part. I handle my own gear, though. I'd probably tip more if they carried the tanks and stuff.

On my last trip to the Caribbean, I tipped the dive staff $20 a piece. There were only a few divers on the boat and the staff did a decent job. But you know, I fly into these places that are practically third-world once you get away from the beach, and I start thinking about how good I really have it, and suddenly, saving a few bucks on a tip doesn't seem so important.

And no, I'm NOT going to set up a fund to help homeless divers in the Caymans.

Popeye once bubbled...

$5 a dive for the most part. I handle my own gear, though. I'd probably tip more if they carried the tanks and stuff.
Is this not the norm? Granted, I've only been on three boat diving trips in my life, but all three places did pretty much everything except get in the water for you. I agree on the tip, $5 a dive; so my wife and I will tip $20 total on a two-tank trip.

When my wife and I were in the Bahamas last Summer, we over-tipped the first day (I was REALLY excited that they got me in and diving!) and they told us so the next day. Now that's a cool place, that tells you you've given them too much money! :) They did let me assemble and disassemble my own gear, so I could practice after being shown how, and I though that was cool, too.

Jimmie

AzAtty once bubbled...
...I'm NOT going to set up a fund to help homeless divers in the Caymans.
That's cool - I have a home, just not in the Caymans. :cluck:

Thank you very much. I'll be here all week - don't forget it's a two tank minimum and pitch $5 - $10 per dive into the DM retirement fund if they did a good job.

Steven

don't insult my gear decisions (I dive long-hose and a BP+Wing), leave my kit alone (I can change my own tanks and prefer to do so - I like knowing it was done MY way), give me a decent briefing, give me a hand with my fins coming back on board and cut up that pineapple that the boat has on board for the divers between dives so I can munch on it and I'll tip 'ya $5 each dive or so.

For more there's gotta be something truly extraordinary that you do. Tips are for good service though too, and they can be lost.... :)

The pax humped all the gear on board, tanks, coolers, gear bags...everything.

Each diver assembled his own gear, and the group asked little or nothing of the capt and mate during three dives. We shared our food and beverages with the crew, too.

The capt drove the boat, the mate tended lines and made some light chitchat with us.

I tipped the mate $10 and felt it was more than adequate.

and seems to bear no relationship to the level of service provided.

(For those who don't know, I am a working dive instructor in the Caymans.)

Our boat usually goes out with 2 or 3 staff (captain included) for each trip. We load all the tanks, bring rental gear down, carry customer's gear from the dive shop down to the dock, set up weight belts, and assist divers in setting up their gear if they request help. We'll act as in-water guides, and help in any way we reasonably can with other dive related activities.

Tips vary widely from a low of zero to an all-time high of over $400USD per staff on a morning two-tank dive. (Many more zero days than $50 days) Some tips have also included beer, booze, gift certificates, and even a gold coin. Those who do tip usually leave $10 to $20 to be shared amongst the crew for a two tank dive. But since only a portion of divers do tip, each staff member averages $20- $25 each two tank dive.

Oddly enough, from a tipping perspective the words I most cringe to hear are, "That was my best dive ever." While I do appreciate the feedback and am thrilled that you enjoyed the dive experience, for some reason I hear those words on days when the tip total is zero.

If you want to provide a tip that will be truly memorable, take the time to write a note of thanks at the end of your dive week. Be sure that your praise (or criticism) is also sent along to the dive shop manager, and/or the training agency.

Back
Top Bottom