The Best Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kf4hax

Reaction score
Here's one for eveyone out there:

What is the best Scuba book you have read.
It can be an instructional book, general info, or whatever. I'm just curious.

Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

AFAIK, its the only diving book I've read. I have the PADI course materials on CD (gotta say, not a bad format to learn the basic book learning).

I also have some Dirk Pitt books, but I haven't really reread them since I've started diving.

I guess I'm bookish - I got the only book that would likely improve my diving technique (not much else will besides practice and training).

jeff

I would say it is a tie between "The Last Dive" and "The Fundamentals" "The Last Dive" made me look at my skills and gave me things to think about as my diving progresses. "The Fundamentals" will provide you with a good amount of things to think about and tell you the skill to work on if you decide to progress in your diving.

Happy reading.

Chad

I have read many good books.

Instructional wise, I would have to say the hands down winner is the NSS Cave Diving Manual. Yes I found it to contain even more useful information than the DIRF book <gasp>. The DIRF book came in a close second, followed by the Art of Safe Cave Diving (just loved the whole page of warnings in the front of that one).

As far as entertainment goes, Deep Descent and the last dive were very good. Historically speaking, The Terrible Hours, and Descent into Darkness gave some terrific insight to the perils and origins of diving.

Hell Divers Rodeo was also a very interesting book, tho not to some people's taste.

And yes, I read a lot...

Anyone interested in diving books might want to check out This Thread

Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

An excellent book that totally changed how I dive.

Fun
1. The Last Dive
2. Deep Descent
3. Beyond the Deep
4. Rapture of the Deep
5. The Cave Divers

Info
1. The Oxygen Hacker's Guide
2. Stuff on the Internet
3. Law and the Diving Professional

Instruction
1. DIRF
2. Cave 1
3. Tech 1
4. Blueprint for Survival

Caverns Measureless to Man - Exley

Close seconds- Deep Descent, Beyond the Deep, Submerged

Honorable mentions- The Last Dive

Boy there are many good books posted here already and some that I would like to read in the future...

Here is my suggestion, it is about the Navy divers in Pearl Harbor after the attack...

Jeff Lane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom