the best wetsuir or semidry for really cold waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done quite a few dives in sub 10C water with a 7mm farmer john wetsuit. The coldest was around 7C. When the suit was new it was still ok, but lately I really suffer, even in 14C. I am seriously considering a Drysuit, but in my country they are all imported and about 4 times the price of a decent opencel wet suit. A drysuit will also increase your dive time, with a wetsuit in those temperatures you seldom dive more than 30min.

If money isn't a problem...go dry. Other than that, I've been fine with my Pinnacle Extreme in 35-38 degree water. I can comfortably dive to my NDL's at 65 to 95 feet with this suit on in those water temps.

Actually my problem is my hands and feet.

To the OP... well it depends on how new you are to diving. The first couple of dives you'll be to busy with all the other stuff (buyancy, finning, checking pressure, looking around, following the instructor, doing drills, etc) to notice the cold much... after a couple of dives when you are getting more relaxed underwater you of course get colder.

paddler3d:
If money isn't a problem...go dry. Other than that, I've been fine with my Pinnacle Extreme in 35-38 degree water. I can comfortably dive to my NDL's at 65 to 95 feet with this suit on in those water temps.

Actually my problem is my hands and feet.

I've got about the same experience. I've started diving in February and have done about 20 dives -45° F in my Pinnacle Artic (with hooded vest). Dives up to 75 min and 80 feet deep. Main things to concern are the following:

1) If you do successive dives and have no place warm to change over into dry clothes forget it. It can be downright dangerous getting back into a wetsuit for a 2nd dive in freezing temps when you've already lost some core temperature from dive and changeover 1.
2) If you do dive wet get a good suit. Make doesn't matter as much but close fit and good seals are important. Get at least 7 + 5 mm or 7 + 7 mm.
3) Feet and hands will get cold quite fast. Those are for most people the limiting factors. I've stepped out of the water where my buddy (diving dry) had to close my tankvalve and get my gloves of. I couldn't anymore. (not the best thing to do... get out before you are too cold). My core (body) was in the meantime still quite ok.
4) Don't go too deep wet in cold water. In summer you won't notice it too much but with low temps you notice a big difference between 30 feet and 80 feet. Your neoprene suit gets a lot thinner under that pressure losing quite alot of it's isolating value.
5) Don't follow my example and limit exposure when diving wet and cold. Shorten your dives and before you start your dive agree on handsignals stating 'I'm cold'. When you or your buddy gives the signal break off the dive. Give the signal soon enough... at the slightest discomfort... not when you are uncontrollably shivering.

6) In the end all go dry :D In my neighbourhood all people diving year round have made the investment to dive dry. Once the watertemp drops below 55°F most change to dry. I'm not yet there... I'm going to attempt another wet winter :14:

Cheer and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom